Sign in to follow this  
CyBasser

Quantum PT Energy casting reels...

Hi everybody,

Well, the tide is turning. Casting reels slowly start to appear in my local stores here in Cyprus, intented for serious bass anglers.

The Quantum PT energy series is one that will be available shortly. I already have tried a single sample sent to the local distributor, and I have to admit I was quite impressed with its casting and general handling. Since the bait monkey is already calling, I wonder if other BR members are using it, and any feedback, positive or negative will be most welcome...

I have one and it is absolutely AWESOME! It is light smooth and just an all around good reel. One negative thing about mine is I have to set the brake very precisely or it backlashes horribly. But I still recommend this reel.

A guy I work with has two. He loves them to death. I've never actually fished one, but everything about them just seems really nice. If I were to get a baitcaster, I would consider the Energy PT, along with a Shimano or two.

Hi everybody,

I wonder if other BR members are using it, and any feedback, positive or negative will be most welcome...

I have 2 Energy 861, 2 Accurists  and a Tour ( sold now ) and also 4 PT-i spinnings, they are good reels and I have never got any trouble of any kind with them, one negative thing is their weight, they are way heavier that any other competitors. I bought mine before the ABU Revo came out, today I think they will be my choice over the Quantums in that price range.

Best luck

I have three of them. Great casting,  slick cranking, smooth and consistant drag; what's not to love. Pretty neat finish on the new models.I have one of those, and two older versions. No problems at all. I think they will last for years. They just feel like they're very well made. A little heavier than some of the competition, but that hasn't made a difference for me.

I think you'll like them.

Cheers,

GK

great reels. i just switched to shimano because i got a deal of a lifetime. i still have 4 spinning reels from quantum that i love. both shimano and quantum make great products. some people like ford some like chevy. personnal preference.

I have two of the Energy Pti-a 20 spinning reels and they have been fantastic.  I did have a Energy Pti Tournament Edition baitcaster but I ended up taking it back.  The drag washer cracked after about a month or two of use.  It was a great reel but when I took it back the sales guy talked me into Shimano Calais.  He gave me a great deal on it and I am glad he bent my arm a little.  It is the smoothest reel I have ever fished, simply amazing.

My son has one that I keep in my fishing room. It might have the longest shelf life of any tackle I (we) own.

It NEVER gets used.    ::o

I have the PT tour edition burner 7:1- It is a very nice reel... not a lot of use with it yet but it seems to perform quite well.  I use it for my rat'l'traps.  A bit on the heavy side it my only complaint.

A bit on the heavy side it my only complaint.

That's the only reason I don't own any Energy reels (casting or spinning). While I think they're great reels, the only downside I can see is the weight.

I have a PT TOUR that I bought this year. It is an exceptionally smooth reel, but I think all the good reels now are. One of these days I'm going to go over the exploded view and find out where they put all 10 of the bearings!

As an earlier poster mentioned, it has to be adjusted perfectly to cast well. The centrifugal adjustment is very critical, seeming to use up its whole range of adjustability in just a click or two, and the adjustment nut on the end of the spool seems to either be on or off. I think the problem with it is that that nut should have a compliant "springy" piece of sheet metal in it to engage the end of the spool, but it seems to have no compliance. So it either is not touching or has excessive control.

What this all means is that when changing lure types, you have to go into the adjustments again. This is quite unlike my 10 year old Calcutta 100, which takes very little adjustment between lure types and weights. Poor old Calcutta only has two ball bearings + the clutch, and casts VERY well.

Next time I think I will stick with the guys who recommend the Curado.

One thing I have to say about the PT Tour is that its drag is the smoothest, most powerful drag I've found on reels of this general size. It handles 15 pound King Salmon with no problems.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input :o

The weight is not an issue for this reel, what did worry me a bit was what DanekM said in the last post. I did make a few casts in windy conditions last weekend with it (on a Lamiglass MH rod) with a 5/8oz spinnerbait, I was impressed with its casting performance but I did notice how critical the adjustment was. On the other hand though it never caused a serious backlash (even afterwards when I changed lures)....

My son has one that I keep in my fishing room. It might have the longest shelf life of any tackle I (we) own.

It NEVER gets used. ::o

Wow. This was a scary reply RW! Why never used????

I have a 750 that I use for crank baits mostly, It casts and looks great,The only issue I have is that it feels bigger than most of the other low profile reels I use and it sits higher on the reel seat. I have big hands too. If you are interested could sell it  :o