Sign in to follow this  
ABC123

Holy cow people....and the name lives on.

So, all the talk of the Avids on sale got me wanting to check them out. So I forced myself to the local Gander to look. I didn't like the bulb handle of the Avid AC70HF they had. I then looked at the Legend Bass rods that were down to $150. I liked them, but I was hoping for a 70, they only had 2 66's.

The light bulb came on and I decided to try Sportsmans warehouse.

I get to SW and they had basically the same clearance going on, but if you spent so much money on a rod and reel, you got a certificate for XX dollars, depending on how much you spent. So I sent the guy to the back room to see if they happend to have a certain rod. While I'm waiting, I check out the Loomis IMX's. I'm comparing the Loomis to the St Croix rod and I happen to catch the price tag on the Loomis rod, I had to take a second look. It said $150. Hmmmmm, I'm holding onto a $275 MBR 785 IMX rod and the price tag say's $150. I ask the clerk when he comes back, yup, the price is correct. So I start looking, they have 4 different rods marked down, including the SJR721 rod I have been wanting for a panfishing rod instead of using my casting rod. That $210 rod was $120. Yea haw!!!!!!!!!

So, instead of getting a Legend bass rod and Avid light spinning rod for $250, I got the 2 Loomis IMX rods for $20 more. But wait, there's more. Remember the certificate?? Well, if I were to get a $50 Pflueger President size 20 spinning reel for the one rod, I get a $50 certificate. So not only did I get the rods at killer prices, I basically got the reel for FREE! Yeah, I bought a couple lottery tickets on the way home too. ;D

That's a GRAND SLAM!

8-)

Wow! I thought I scored at SW, but you took the cake and the icing! Congrats! I think I need to go back to see if our local SW is doing the same. I ain't never fished an IMX... :o

Yeah, it's the next day and I still can't believe the luck I had. I'm naturally a bargain hunter, so maybe there was just a touch of skill mixed in with all that luck. I have not paid retail for any of my Loomis rods. One of the other ones I got much like these 2 when I happen to walk in Cabelas on the right morning. When I found my 721C rod, and it was discounted, and they announced "until 12 noon, there is a 25% off sale on fishing rods and reels, excluding Shimano". The others came through a bulk discount purchase through a secret store.

IB, Yes, IMX rods are a must try. Nothing against the other rods on the market, but there is just something about the IMX/GLX rods from Loomis. I'm sure there might be a couple rods better...for more money.

I'm just glad my rod collection is just about complete. All I need is a new trolling rod for 'Eye's, and maybe a crankbait rod, depending on how I like the MBR rod for them. I took it out to the local dock last night. I threw on the BPS reel with 20lb braid and a 10 ft floro leader. I liked the way the rod worked with the lures, nothing but sunfish were biting at the dock, so I didn't get a chance to try hook setting. I did get to enjoy the SJR with the panfish though. 8-)

Thanks alot! >:o You've got my bait monkey rattling his cage! ;D I sure hope to get to SW some time today. I'm still building the fence around my house though. I'll consider that bonus points deserving toward a new rod! Scratch one off the the honey-do list! ;D

Being that I live a mere 2 hours from Loomis HQ, you'd think I'd have a rod or two from them.  ::)

IMX... GLX... Two three-letter word ending in X. I guess it's nearly as good as the other! Thanks again. 8-)