Sign in to follow this  
W1-10

dilemma

A have a situation that I'm hoping y'all can offer your opinion on.

I'm getting two new spinning rods - Avids or premiers. I need help with a value vs. cost situation. I've got some flexible money but need to cover the cost over $140. I've checked with dicks and they're out of what I want, I don't have a gander mt. close and cabelas does'nt have thiers on sale, bass pro is my only close option. Roughly based on what I'll have to spend after the $140 the two avids will cost me $110, two premiers $50. Should I stretch for the avids? Is two Avids for $110 dollars better than two premiers for $50 in overall value? Seems like it would basically be buy one get one free vs. buy one at 1/3 the price get one free.

Sorry for the long post. You guys are awesome.

The warrenty on the avids is worth 50 more bucks too me.... its lifetime .I dont own either but i did fondle them in gander mountain that avid is a awsome rod

Hey redneck thanks for your reply. I guess my titles just suck or I have stupid questions but I don't seem to garner a lot of response on this site. I'm getting the avids today.

Your accounting numbers had me all confused! I think it's definitely worth it pulling the trigger on the avids. I've read a fair share of negative reviews on the premiers, but have yet to see anything but great reviews for the avids. Seems to be a big jump in quality in the St.Croix line after the premiers. I'm waiting for my Avid AS68MXF to arrive, so I can't really give you too much insight.

You will be very happy with the St. Croix Avid. These are well made rods and a great value at their pricing point. I recently picked up another on sale for $109 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I now have three Avids, I guess you can tell that I like them just fine.

Is two Avids for $110 dollars better than two premiers for $50 in overall value?

I wouldn 't think it too much, Avids are by far superior to the Premier

Avids are great. As far as the warranty goes, I have had issues with returning rods that should have been covered. Once had an Avid for about a month, when for some reason it snapped 1 foot above the cork while casting a super fluke. They wanted $50 for a new rod and it cost me another $25 in shipping. Which isnt what they told me over the phone, and since they already had the rod, I didnt really have a choice. But that was my only complaint with St. Croix, besides that they make a great product.

I'm getting two new spinning rods - Avids or premiers. I need help with a value vs. cost situation. I've got some flexible money but need to cover the cost over $140. I've checked with dicks and they're out of what I want, I don't have a gander mt. close and cabelas does'nt have thiers on sale, bass pro is my only close option. Roughly based on what I'll have to spend after the $140 the two avids will cost me $110, two premiers $50. Should I stretch for the avids? Is two Avids for $110 dollars better than two premiers for $50 in overall value? Seems like it would basically be buy one get one free vs. buy one at 1/3 the price get one free.

Sorry for the long post. You guys are awesome.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the Premiers are on sale. I see them tagged for $80 also.

So, now your down to two rods for $160 or 2 rods for $220. Go with the Avids. There was a reason why they normally retailed for twice as much.

Good news and bad news. I just saved a lot of money on my car insurance by switching to geiko. Seriously......these avids are sweet! I picked them up today at bass pro. Sadly, I won't be able to fish them for a few days because I just came down with either the flu or ebola today. I feel like I've been shot out of a cannon.

Bad news. Back in april I take a fenwick rod with a broken tip into cabelas to return with all the documents, they ask if I'd like store credit or my money back. I told them that I plan on getting two different rods at that location anyways so just give me the store credit. I then applied that towards the purchase of the triumphs.

Today I go in to return the triumphs, again with all the receipts and they tell me that the price of the fenwick rod has to be refunded in store credit? I tried to explain that it wasn't a gift card and that I just wanted my money back. For some reason they could'nt see that I had paid for the fenwick to begin with. They even went so far as to return the full refund price to my amex card and then sell me the gift card for the amount of the fenwick rod! I was really upset, and by upset I mean that I thought about choking out the customer service person.

The premiers are on sale at some dicks stores. I picked one up this summer for $50.