Sign in to follow this  
Trent, B

Shimano Reels

How come alot of the shimano reels have very few ball bearings? I thought the more ball bearings the smoother it was? Why are the priced so high with such few bearings?

More bearings doesn't always mean smoother. If the extra number of bearings are in the handle it adds nothing but the essence of a smoother reel. After a certain number (5 or 6 maybe?) there becomes no physical space to put a bearing that will affect the reels performance.

How come alot of the shimano reels have very few ball bearings? I thought the more ball bearings the smoother it was? Why are the priced so high with such few bearings?

OK, I'll say it.  Shimano's carry high prices because people are willing to pay it.   A name can command a premium price if people demand the name.  (And I've actually owned and fished Shimanos, so my opinion is qualified.)  

Now, where's the popcorn.  

Since you are relatively new to the Forum, I just want to point out that no one is making fun of your question. Reel "discussions" come up often and sometimes get heated. As a general "rule of thumb", there is no "BEST" brand or "best reel", there are just "favorites."