Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Shimano Stradic Problems???

I was looking at the reviews of the Stradic on BPS online shopping.  There are alot of negative reviews about the Stradic.  About not the quality that it's supposed to be.  Making noise & other problems.

Any of you guys that do own the reel, can you comment about this?  

How about the Shimano Symetre?  Any problems similar to the Stradic?

I thought Shimano made quality stuff, what is all the negative comments then on the BPS online reviews???

Which model stradic are you talking about, I have the Mgfa and have no complaints whatsoever. Nice smooth reel I clean it once a year, no more no less. I have had no problems and would recommend this reel to anyone.

I don't want to get into the middle of a brand/quality arguement, but I will say this subject came up a couple times on an 'Eye site I visit. A few people had complaints. I'm wondering if this is why the big "redesign" is coming. There are a lot of people who just love them too. The reason why I don't own Shimanos anymore is when I went to upgrade my fleet of reels, I bought a Stradic. Got home and took it out of the box and started to play with it. I couldn't get the bail to lock back over without a lot of effort. I took it back and found others on the rack were like that too. I got the Pflueger Supremes and never looked back.

Just for the record, I wasn't saying shimano is better, I own shimano, diawa, and abu reels. I was just stating a fact that I have had absolutely no problems with my stradic reel

I have two of the 2500 Stradics, been beating them up good this year. No problems to report.  ;)

Hmm...

"Just for the record" I AM SAYING Shimano products are outstanding. EVERY Shimano reel I have EVER owned is still being used. My 1995-96 Symetres and 1997-98 Stradics are BETTER reels today than the day I took them out of the box. I have NEVER had an issue with these reels and the men I fish with use Shimanos EXCLUSIVELY, too.

I currently own Stella and Sustain spinning reels. Baitcasters include (2) CTE200GT, Calais 200,

Metanium and Chronach. I'm not considering changing brands anytime soon. I am glad everyone that fishes something else is happy with their equipment, but if you are asking for a recommendation I have only one:

SHIMANO:  Strong, smooth, silent and reliant.

I have 11 Shimano reels and they all perform flawlessly. This includes 2 Stradics both are used in Salt water a 4000 and a 6000. Never had to repair a Shimano reel, just routine maintenance. I also have a couple of nice ABUs and a Pflueger President. No complaints with any of them.

Ronnie

What was said on BPS online catalog are for the 2007 Stradic models.  It was the none mgfa models that I was looking at, don't know about the mgfa ones.

I have 3 of the 2500 MgFA.  No problem with any of them.  I have used them hard this year.

My 2500 MgFA works great.

Only problem is that Shimano does not include a second spool.

Thanks guys. Now I am paranoid about the reel after reading the posts.

Oh well, my wife always said I was nuts. ;D

My 2500 MgFA works great.

Only problem is that Shimano does not include a second spool.

That is strange because the regular stradics come with a spare spool.

My MgFA 4000 didn't come with a spare spool either.

I just purchased one the older Stradics and I have no issues with it so far but it was a little stiff at first. I put two drops of oil in the maintance port and I took just a little grease off of the spair spool, put it on the shaft and the problem was solved.  I guess it had a little lot rot.

I did read the reviews on BPS website and I wonder if a couple drops of oil could have fixed these issues.

For me though, I would not hesitate to purchase another one.  

I have two Stradics from last generation, and they're great reels. One's for bass while the other's for trout. Super smooth and nice and quiet. My only complaint so far is with the spool clicker. The things just love to stick. A little reel oil usually takes care of it, but that is one thing (among many others) that Shimano looks like they improved on with the new Stradics.