Sign in to follow this  
c17Lat

Just 3 baitcast setups

I'm thinkin about gettin my third baitcast setup soon. The two I had over the summer i used 14 lb silver thread on a 5'6'' rod and 17 lb vanish transition on a telescopin flippin stick. So what should I do for the third setup. I'm thinking that I'm gonna go:

1. Flippin stick with braided line-never used braid b4. should i use a fluoro leader? what lb test? (I fish the potomac river so a lot of grass)

2. 5'6'' rod with 14-17 lb mono (or fluoro?)  (for making short casts w/spinnerbait around lilly pads)

3. new rod 6-6.5' with daiwa magforce reel with 12 lb somthin

What 3 baitcast setups should cover the all around bases?

6'6"-7'0" MH or H fast action rod, your choice of brand, with your choice of brand reel. Keep an eye on the poll about the best MH rod for choices on rods.

If your in heavy cover a lot, trying a braid might be worth your while. I think you'll find using a floro leader is more of an opinion than a requirement. I like to use them for a couple reasons. 1) I can find damage easier and can replace it without giving up much of my main line. 2) I feel a bit more confident in the invisibility of the set up vs. direct tied braid.

I think the 5'6'' would be a good choice for topwaters, jerkbaits, etc

The flipping stick should be OK for jigs, t-rigs, flipping and perhaps C-rigs.

I agree that the 3rd should be a 6'6" - 7' MH stick.  These can often be used to throw nearly everything...

My "all-around" baitcaster is a St. Croix Avid AC66MF which has a soft tip. This is matched with a fast reel (Shimano Calais 200 6.2:1). This combination is used mostly for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, lipless cranks and other "fast moving" applications.

For traditional crankbaits and topwater I have a AC70MM saddled with a Shimano Metanium.

Big lures and deep cranking is assigned to a glass rod, Lamiglas SR705R designed by Skeet Reese (2007 AOY). This is matched with a Shimano CTE200GT.

My jig rod is a G.Loomis GLX MBR844C fished with another CTE200GT.

So, that's four and you asked for three...The SR705R is a VERY technique specific rod. Unless you do a lot of deep cranking, this is the one I would delete and the other three would be what I recommend.

I think the 5'6'' would be a good choice for topwaters, jerkbaits, etc

The flipping stick should be OK for jigs, t-rigs, flipping and perhaps C-rigs.

I agree that the 3rd should be a 6'6" - 7' MH stick.  These can often be used to throw nearly everything...

+1

I actually prefer a shorter rod for topwaters and jerkbaits...6' to be exact.  The 5'6" should be your topwater/jerkbait rod.  Your 7'6"er will cover flippin'/Pitchin'...I'd spool it with heavy fluoro.  I'd go with a 7' M, fast action rod (or a Loomis MH :)).  That will cover cranks, general soft plastics, throwing spinnerbaits, etc.  Grab a 7' Avid if you can swing $109.  Sportsmans Warehouse also has Shimano Clarus rods for $29.99 (normally $60).

I can't wait for my sportsman warehouse to open here....NOV 3rd is the grand opening....can anybody guess where i'll be?  ;D

Here are the three rods and reels I use the most.

1. Shimano Calcutta 251/ G. Loomis BCR803>Med. jigs and softplastic

2. Shimano Calais 201/G. Loomis MBR 743C>General purpose rod

3. Daiwa Zillion 100 SHLA/G. Loomis MBR 844C>Heavy Jigs, Carolina rigs, Jerkbaits and Rattle traps.

I swap these setups around sometimes to just mix it up some.

I can't wait for my sportsman warehouse to open here....NOV 3rd is the grand opening....can anybody guess where i'll be? ;D

Don't forget to ask for the day off of work!!