Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Chinese Recalls

Man, after the first few million toys were recalled, why can't these (American) companies figure out that "quality control" matters? Curious George dolls are the latest, just announced. Same goes for fishing equipment built in China:

Inspect the freaking gear before you ship it out!

It ain't that complicated!

:-X

From a staff meeting I had on wed. There have always been these types of recalls, Its just now that the Feds have made it a requirement to anounce the recalls.

Don't know a whole lot about it, but thats what I took from the meeting.

EDIT: Ever since they made it a requirement, My email inbox has been filled with recalls from frozen pizza and meat, to lead based painted toys

What bugs me is when something is re-called, the manufacture's just say "throw it away immediately". How about "giving my money back"?

Why can't these manufacturers be held accountable for their slip-ups when they fail to inspect their merchandise properly?

What bugs me is when something is re-called, the manufacture's just say "throw it away immediately". How about "giving my money back"?

Why can't these manufacturers be held accountable for their slip-ups when they fail to inspect their merchandise properly?

most people wont go through the hassle of mailing it back.  I would.  I would demand they pay the shipping and pay me back for the crap.

Roadwarrior,  time is money.  If you building something in China your worry isnt about public health its about a quick buck then go out of business as a millionare.  They dont give a rats butt.  Ship is all and let someone else deal with it.  

That's why most of the new reels have a "This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to  cause cancer" saying either on the box or on a piece of paper in the box.  The paint is the culprit.  Lead paint and cheap metal alloys.  

What gives???  I don't know of ANY good US reel manufacturers.  

On another note.  They just recalled those "Aqua Dots" kids make crafts with.  Come to find out if you ingest the little dots they break down into the chemical known as GHB a.k.a.  a common Date Rape drug.  

Saw it on the news today, some new kids toys coming from China have a substance in them similar to the Date Rape drug. This is starting to get really scary now. Not just lead anymore.

Can't find the link to that story, but on the local news website, in the top stories, 4 are about recalls due to lead paint.

Without diminishing the seriousness of lead pain in toys, it's important to keep this in perspective.  Given the quantity of stuff that comes out of China, these recalls account for an infintecimal portion of it.  

Face it, you CANNOT get away from Chinese stuff.   Even if your product says made in Korea, Malaysia, USA, whatever, it is almost certainly going to contain something from China - Chinese steel, nickel, zinc, polymers, brass, chemicals, etc.  

These companies that contract with Chinese firms to build their products are the ones responsible for quality control.   It reflects on them as much as it reflects on the Chinese manufacturer.

I think Micropterus hit the nail on the head with this one.  It would be real hard, if not impossible to get a product truly 100% made in the good ol' USA.   :-/

Yeah I agree.  If you really think about it ......

I grew up in the late 70's / early 80's.  Almost all of my toys had lead based paint in them, and I'm fine.   ;)   I think it actually becomes a problem when you start to ingest this stuff, but I never tried to swallow a Matchbox car or GI Joe either.  Not to mention I think Optimus Prime was a little too large for my mouth anyway.   ;D

Saw it on the news today, some new kids toys coming from China have a substance in them similar to the Date Rape drug. This is starting to get really scary now. Not just lead anymore.

I almost got that for my kid this christmas....guess that's off the list.

Yeah I agree. If you really think about it ......

I grew up in the late 70's / early 80's. Almost all of my toys had lead based paint in them, and I'm fine. ;) I think it actually becomes a problem when you start to ingest this stuff, but I never tried to swallow a Matchbox car or GI Joe either. Not to mention I think Optimus Prime was a little too large for my mouth anyway. ;D

Due to my previous work environment, I had lead poisoning for over three years. I also tested positive for arsenic, and cadmium. We used to get blood tests every six months.

As a welder in the powerplant industry, even with a respirator you can ingest/inhale some nasty stuff......good times. And they wonder why I went back to work at UPS lol.... ;)

That's why most of the new reels have a "This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to  cause cancer" saying either on the box or on a piece of paper in the box.  The paint is the culprit.  Lead paint and cheap metal alloys.  

What gives???  I don't know of ANY good US reel manufacturers.  

On another note.  They just recalled those "Aqua Dots" kids make crafts with.  Come to find out if you ingest the little dots they break down into the chemical known as GHB a.k.a.  a common Date Rape drug.  

This isn't just on reels look at 90% of the baits in the store its on just about all of them, its because all of them contain lead. It must be a pain in the butt to live in California everything gives you cancer out there, so as long as you avoid fishing the west coast like the plague your reels and fishing tackle will never try to kill you.

This is how I see it.  Reminds me of an email my Dad sent me last month.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

TO ALL OF YOU WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70', and 80's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.  ;)

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer's, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of  them? CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.....For the rest of us...pass this on.