Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Drag and setting the hook

I was curious if anyone else was having this problem...

I normally use 30lb Stren braid for fishing but recently I've starting trying out some co-poly's and mono... I've been told to set my drag at about 25% or so of my line test to prevent snapping the line and such on a hook set.  With 6 lb line I usually will set my drag at around 1.5 to 2 lbs...

On hook sets I feel like I'm losing alot of my hookset power on line coming out due to the drag engaging... there have been a few times where I feel like I've put enough power into a hookset only to have my lure fly out at me when I get the fish close....

anyone get the same feeling?

I set my drag by"feel", not by lb. I want drag to barely start and give a little bit of line when I give  the line a good jerk/pull. I probably set it at about half the line rating, but that's just a hunch. Never did any measurements. And I don't know if it,s OK or not, but it works for me.

Tight lines

For a true 6 lb test line, you are setting the drag correctly (25-30% = 1.5-1.8 lbs). Yo-Zuri #6 is 11.9 lb test which allows a drag setting of 3-3.5 lbs.

8-)

I've always been meaning to try the yo-zuri you're always talking about rw, but no one sells the stuff around here =(

about hooksetting, do you ever feel like you're pulling so much line out when you set the hook that you lose alot of the power meant for hook penetration?

Yes, you can use a scale, but this might be easier:

Put free weights in a plastic grocery bag and tie the bag onto your line.

GENTLY lift the bag and adjust the drag. You can then get a VERY

close estimate for future testing just by pulling out some line and

getting "a feel" for the drag at that setting.

8-)

I've always been meaning to try the yo-zuri you're always talking about rw, but no one sells the stuff around here =(

about hooksetting, do you ever feel like you're pulling so much line out when you set the hook that you lose alot of the power meant for hook penetration?

BPS sells Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Cabela's has both original Hybrid and Ultra Soft.

Setting the hook: Use a "snap set" sometimes called a "quick set".

When you detect a bite, lower your rod and reel down QUICKLY. When you feel the fish, snap your rod tip up with your wrists WITHOUT moving the position of your hands relative to your body. With sharp hooks, this will drive the point home!

8-)

Simon,

I picked up a reel of 275 yards of 8 pound clear Yo-Zuri Hybird at the Hampton BPS two weeks ago.

It does not say "Ultra Soft" like Roadwarrior sugests but it is Yo-Zuri and I can't wait to put it on my spinning reel when it gets a little warmer outside.

In fact, I can't find any "Ultra Soft" Yo-Zuri, even on the Yo-Zuri web site.

Let me know if you find it somewhere around Virginia.

Found it!

Cabella's 2008 Master Fishing Catalog, page 150.

Ultra Soft.

I will order some and you can, too.

Sure wish there was a Cabella's around these parts to go along with Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop and Green Top.

I gotta give this stuff a try.  RW, you got me wondering what I've been missing out on. ;)

On hook sets I feel like I'm losing alot of my hookset power on line coming out due to the drag engaging... there have been a few times where I feel like I've put enough power into a hookset only to have my lure fly out at me when I get the fish close....

anyone get the same feeling?

I would set it at 1/3, and then if you think it's slipping to much on hookset lay your thumb on the spool and snap the tip.

Tight Lines!!!