Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Do you use baitcast or spinning reels, and for what lures??

Lots of different lures can be casted on either a casting rod/reel or a spinning rod/reel.  Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jigs, texas/carolina rigs, buzzbaits, things like that.  What do you use??  And if you think of any other types I forgot, mention them too please.  I've never used a chatterbait (jig with a blade??) before so what's best for it??

I use casting gear for spinnerbaits and crankbaits exclusively, never a spinning rod.  However I may use a spinning rod for a buzzbait if I'm not fishing it very fast, even though I think it's similar to a spinnerbait the way I fish it, which I only use the casting rod for.  Don't really know why though.  Just seems easier to use sometimes.  I make my decision which one to use almost completely based on comfort, without giving presentation of the lure much thought.  Might be a mistake, but it's worked so far.

I have a friend who will only use spinning rods for everything he throws.  He used to use casting reels but got tired of them and won't use them at all now.  

Casting:              Spinning:

Swimbaits           soft plastics including jerkbaits

Spinnerbaits        crankbaits

Jigs

Frogs

I basically make my decision based on the weight of the lure. I  feel like I can get a better hook set with baitcasters, but I like to fight fish on spinning reels better.  Dont know why.........I'm sure it all comes down to personal preference

I use baitcasting for all of my bass fishing, with the exception of less than 1/8oz. I rarely fish anything that light. I fish primarily from a kayak, and usually carry only 2 rods. My worm rod works well for lures form 1/8 to 3/4. I have my all-purpose rod that I use for chatterbaits, cranks, lipless, topwater, and spinnerbaits. I think you can use spinning gear for everything in bass fishing, if that is what you like. I do pull out a spinning rod every now and then, when fishing from the bank. Most of the time, my spinning rods are for gills or catching catfish bait(which can be little bass) ;).

I use mostly baitcast, but use spinning as well for most finesse tactics.

Spinning:

Drop Shot

Small jigs (Around 1/2 oz)

Small worms (Wacky rig, etc)

Poppers

Baitcast:

Jigs (Above 3/8 oz)

Most Topwater apps

Swimbaits

Cranks

Larger Worms

Spinnerbaits

I know there is more, but for the most part that is it.

i'm the same way with everyone who has posted already. i have 2 casting rods and 2 spinning rods.

on 1 of the spinning rods i have a dropshot rig set up, on the other one i have a wacky rig set up. i switch to carolina and texas rig sometimes.

on the casting rods i have a topwater on one and a swimbait on the other.

the way i look at it, spinning reels are for more finesse approaches like using senkos or dropshotting. they also hold lighter line so that is good for those situations.

casting reels are for fast retrieve baits like swimbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and all those. and they hold heavier line. so really its all just opinion but i like having the ability to switch

Spinning: finesse

Baitcasting: power fishing

8-)

For me it's lure weight !

>Less than 1/4oz = spinning

>Heavyer than 1/4oz = baitcaster

Power fishing and finess fishing is relative; what is power fishing for me might be finess fishing for the guys down south...

God bless!

I'm going to chime in with an unorthodox response because since I started fishing around 10 years ago, I have used nothing but spinning gear for all my fishing. I think one perk of spinning gear is that you can use any lure you would use on a baitcaster on spinning gear, but not the other way around. Casting tackle allows for using bigger lures and bigger lines without really beefing up too much on the rod and reel size. Where as if you want to use 14-20# line and throw lures 3/4oz. and up you are going to need a really big spinning combo, almost similar to what you'd use for Medium saltwater fishing(I use 14-20# line for striper fishing) and the rod rated for that line is a 8' Ugly Stik spinning rod. It'd be pretty uncomfortable casting that heavy a rod all day bass fishing. You could get away with using a Lighter 6'9" US Tiger Lite rod for throwing heavier lures on spinning gear, but the rod is a lot heavier and less sensitive than a Casting rod would be for the same application.

I think you would be best off using a casting setup for standard size chatterbaits from say 5/6 to 5/8 ounce.  If you are using a finesse chatterbait 1/4 ounce or less,  I would go with a spinning setup.

I only use Spinning Gear for 'finesse' fishing and for 'power' fishing ;)

For casting live bait though I use baitcasting gear, which I also use for float fishing at anchor and for trolling (no joke).

Roger

I'm going to chime in with an unorthodox response because since I started fishing around 10 years ago, I have used nothing but spinning gear for all my fishing. I think one perk of spinning gear is that you can use any lure you would use on a baitcaster on spinning gear, but not the other way around. Casting tackle allows for using bigger lures and bigger lines without really beefing up too much on the rod and reel size. Where as if you want to use 14-20# line and throw lures 3/4oz. and up you are going to need a really big spinning combo, almost similar to what you'd use for Medium saltwater fishing(I use 14-20# line for striper fishing) and the rod rated for that line is a 8' Ugly Stik spinning rod. It'd be pretty uncomfortable casting that heavy a rod all day bass fishing. You could get away with using a Lighter 6'9" US Tiger Lite rod for throwing heavier lures on spinning gear, but the rod is a lot heavier and less sensitive than a Casting rod would be for the same application.

I use to think the same way. Now after years of practice and the advancments in technology with the rods and reels, I can throw everything as light as 1/8 of an oz. on BC's. I do agree it comes down to personal preference.

I use to think the same way. Now after years of practice and the advancments in technology with the rods and reels, I can throw everything as light as 1/8 of an oz. on BC's. I do agree it comes down to personal preference.

Well, in my neck of the woods, 1/8 oz is a little on the heavy side.

Sometimes I wonder if it 'really' boils down to personal preference or is it more about "peer pressure".

Several posts make it sound as though casting gear is something we must force ourselves to get used to, ya know like castor oil.

Then I suppose I need to learn how to cast with my dominant arm, then pass the rod to the other hand after every cast.

How kool is that, now I must fight the fish with my weaker, less sensitive hand, while my good arm is wasted cranking up slack line.

As preposterous as that sounds, it is exactly what millions of anglers have forced themselves to do.

I'd be a little careful with that follow-the-leader mentality, and understand that the profit motive

is driven by tournament fishing, which frequently conflicts with the needs and enjoyment of the recreational angler.

Like Fish Chris and LBH, I too prefer spinning tackle, but have every intention of switching, just as soon as hell freezes over ;)

Roger

Guest muddy

I use BC for topwaters,cranks,most plastics. I use spinning for throwing ORIGINAL FLOATING RAPALAS and some smaller plastics.

I use spinning gear when shoreline fishing also

Just personal choice

Good Insight about Tourny fishing and selling pressure ROLO 8-)

For me it's lure weight !

>Less than 1/4oz = spinning

>Heavyer than 1/4oz = baitcaster

Power fishing and finess fishing is relative; what is power fishing for me might be finess fishing for the guys down south...

God bless!

x2...but I pretty much use baitcasting gear for everything since I don't fish the small stuff ;D

Sometimes I wonder if it 'really' boils down to personal preference or is it more about "peer pressure".

Several posts make it sound as though casting gear is something we must force ourselves to get used to, ya know like castor oil.

Then I suppose I need to learn how to cast with my dominant arm, then pass the rod to the other hand after every cast.

How kool is that, now I must fight the fish with my weaker, less sensitive hand, while my good arm is wasted cranking up slack line.

As preposterous as that sounds, it is exactly what millions of anglers have forced themselves to do.

I'd be a little careful with that follow-the-leader mentality, and understand that the profit motive

is driven by tournament fishing, which frequently conflicts with the needs and enjoyment of the recreational angler.

Like Fish Chris and LBH, I too prefer spinning tackle, but have every intention of switching, just as soon as hell freezes over ;)

Roger

Good post but IMHO, casting gear makes longer and more accurate casts than spinning gear. If you don't like the idea of fighting fish w/ ur weaker arm(say left), you can always buy a LH crank baitcaster. Works both ways.

Guest muddy

I can cast farther , with more accuracy with spinning gear than with Baitcasting, however I have only been using the later for a uyear now. When i was full time spinning i was able to cast farther with more accuracy than i can with a Baitcaster.

Like Fish Chris and LBH, I too prefer spinning tackle, but have every intention of switching, just as soon as hell freezes over :)

Roger

Roger, I can fully appreciate your outlook and have seen it myself. Yet with me it wasn't that way at all. I very rarely use anything lighter then 1/8 oz and it's done alright by me so far. I had friends who were using BC's for years and occasionally I built up enough courage to give it a try knowing there was a high probability it was going to be retired for the day. Thankfully they were nice enough to take that chance. I found myself loving the experience as well as the challenge and wanted one of my own. One BC lead another and so on. If my memory serves me correctly,(not always the case ;)) the friend who tought me uses his BC sparingly with spinning gear being his first choice. Most of my closest friends use SG 90% and BC's 10% and I actually get pressured to go back to spinning. :) I own a 7' St Croix Legend/Stratic combo and like it a lot but very rarely take it with me. I can definately get the fish out of the weeds and into the livewell quicker with the BC then the SG as well. It's Just my preference. :) Now when the spinning gear is in my hands it takes a bit to get used to. I just feel more comfortable with the BC's.

Bassectomy, I can appreciate what you have written and it makes total sense.

Unlike most fellows, I began my fishing career with baitcasting gear (~1950) and never seen spinning tackle until one day on Lake Owassa, NJ.

Some hotshot in another boat was firing his lure into weed-pocket after weed-pocket, with just a flick of his wrist.

I concede, it was love at first sight! Today, I cast much farther and with much greater accuracy with spinning tackle,

than I ever hoped to achieve with casting gear.

All that said, I'm sure we all agree that it boils down to "personal preference", whatever that may be.

My only point here is that the angler must be sure that personal preference is not influenced by peer pressure,

differently put, to thine own self be true ;)

Roger