Sign in to follow this  
WhiteMike1018

Need a cranking Setup :D

OK so I want so buy a rod specifically for cranking, I would like to have a crankbait tied on this rod at all times weather it be deep, mid depth or shallow.

Ive heard a lot of good feedback about the BPS cranking rods, just for the record how light are they? Are they sensitive?

Im also going to need a reel. I would like the reel to be light and as low profile as possible, i guess my budget is around 150-200$ Also what gear ratio would you recommend?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated ;) If there is any reel of rod combo you suggest feel free to share.

Thanks -wm

P.S. When i searched "crankbait rod" at basspro they only one i see that actually made by bps is the rick clun series rods, is this the same rod as least years?

Sir, you need a beautiful orange rod by the name of the e21 Carrot Stix LTX. Get the 6'9 Parabolic action casting rod and you will be in business. I have a crankbait tied on to mine 100% of the time I am on the water. Being that I am a crankbait addict, I am using it about 90% of the time too........  :)

The rod has qualities found in many fiberglass crankin' sticks but without the added weight. The CS LTX is only 3.2 to 3.3 ounces......so you will certainly not have any complaints about the weight.

Comes with a Lifetime Unconditional Over-The-Counter Warranty just in case your dog decides to eat it  ;)

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

Thanks a lot Ben, your tournament shirt looks familiar were you at the expo in timonium?

I am definately gonna look into this rod ;)

I have no experience with the Carrot Stick, but everyone seems to love them.

I was in a similar situation as you two years ago and here is my two cents.

Couple of questions:

1) How much crankin are you going to do?

2) What type of cranks do use? More specifically do you throw small cranks? Or do you want to throw DD22s?

I first bought a Dave Fritts Cranking rod from BPS (I was looking at BPS cranking sticks as well). Go it home didnt like it, returned it and went with a 7' St Croix Priemere Glass Rod which cost me around $100 and coupled it to one of the older Shimano curados (the green one) 5:1 gear ratio. Total cost of this set up was around $200-$230. I love this set up for smaller cranks and lipless cranks. (note: if you are fishing around a lot of docks and hanging tress I might suggest the 6'6" rod).

The problem is when you want to throw the DD22, which I like to do. Although this rod works ok for this application I would suggest getting something around 7'6" MH rod and 4:1 reel especially if you are going to be cranking all day long in open water. Your arms will thank me later.

Hope this helps.

If your looking at BPS rods, check out the Johnny Morris Sig. series.  I have been using a 7 M for cranks since they came out.  It cast a 3/8oz crankbait a country mile.  It is rated as a fast action rod but the tip is so soft that I like using for cranks.  The sensitivity is just OK but the guides and reel seat are top notch.  I have mounted a Curado 201 on it and have been very pleased with setup so far.

Carrots Stix are the way to go, as Ben said, a 6"9 parabolic.

Yes sir, I was at the Timonium show, and had a bunch of fun.

Long days, though.

Anyway, let me know if you get a chance to check the Carrots out and let me know what you think of them

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

you wont need an extremly sensite stick ....  in fact most guys fish glass ,,, witch offers very little feel ( compaired to graphite ) .... if you want to stay around 200 bucks ..... get you a woo davis cranking stick ,,, spend a little more on the reel ... as for reel get a slower reel ... i use a calcutta 51 ... is a 5:1 and the speed seems just right for me .....  ;D

For the budget given the BPS crankin' stick is a good rod. I also have a premier glass rod. Both are nice. Go to the store and handle both of them since the handles are different. The lowest profile reels are arguably the revo's. The abu garcia max series that just came out is pretty similar in profile and will fit into your budget. Check the BPS link often after 2/27 for sales from the classic.

I use a GLoomis CBR843 and it works great.  Loads up nicely with 1/2 or 5/8 oz cranks, tosses 3/4 oz cranks ok, but it makes me a little nervous.  Fairly light weight and as sensitive as you need in a cranking rod, IMO.  Paired up with a Daiwa TD-Z makes it a very balanced combo.

FD

Rod: St. Croix Avid AC66MF (soft tip) on close-out for around $100

Reel: Shimano Citica CI200DPV for $90

http://www.deloscustomtackleshack.com/reels/shimanocitaca.html

8-)

My choice is: Shimano Curado CU200DPV (5.0:1) & St Croix Legend Tournament Bass LTBC70MHM (called the "Big Cranker"). You can't beat it.

Be aware that the BPS crankin stick is a new design this year.  I got some of the old design when they were on sale for $26.50.  I haven't used them yet, but I did weigh a 6'6" medium and it came in around 4.7 oz.  I figured at that price I can use them for a while and if it turns out they aren't my favorite they will get set up with cranks that aren't used much.