Sign in to follow this  
Jigger1

Baitcaster vs. Spinning reel

Whats the major differences in the reels? Is one better for jigging and the other for spinners or buzzbaits? I don't know the true difference besides ones open and ones closed. Someone please, in detail tell me differences and what works with what on each, thanks.

Spinning tackle:  Finesse fishing

Baitcasting gear: Power fishing

All of your fishing can be done on either type of equipment. For lighter lures and thinner lines, I prefer spinning tackle; for heavier lures and thicker lines, baitcasting. I also prefer baitcasting rigs for fast retrieve presentations.

8-)

I also prefer baitcasting rigs for fast retrieve presentations.

RW, I don't understand that one, since spinning reels often bring in more inches of line per handle turn. For example, a Curado 200 with 7.0 ratio brings in 30", while your Stella 2500 with a 5.2 ratio brings in 30" as well. Go to a Sustain of the same size with a 6.0 ratio and that does 35". I used those because Shimano's your brand, but it's typical of many brands.

In fact, if fast retrieves were my goal, I'd choose spinning, although I suppose you could duplicate their speed with faster cranking on baitcasters.

Marty,

I know spinning reels are faster and have higher IPC (inches per crank). They are just not as comfortable for me as baitcasters are for steady and/or fast retrieve. I certainly see your point, I guess you probably understand mine, too.

8-)

For me it's as simple as line choice.  Spinning reel gets #6 -#10 and Baitcasters get #12 - #25

spinning reels spin some lures baitcasters dont and you get better accuracy with your casts with a baitcaster.

spinning reels spin some lures baitcasters dont and you get better accuracy with your casts with a baitcaster.

Well, I don't know what you mean by "spin some lures".

As far as accuracy, that may be true for you, but not me.

8-)

you get better accuracy with your casts with a baitcaster.

Accuracy is something you develop through practice, it may be true for you but not true for me, I 'm equally accurate with both.

Flechero chooses by line size, spinning for lighter lines, bc for larger lines, that 's a good line of thought if you don 't have a bc reel for lighter line ( and there are reels for that  :( ), besides, when you increase the line diameter you need to increase the size of the spinning reel or the spool won 't be able to handle the heavier line, it also increases the weight of the set up, bigger reel = more weight.

To me selecting one over the other has to do more with the available room around me to swing the rod to make the cast, with a spinning reel you can cast with little room to swing the rod or in rod positions that are more difficult for a BC reel.

Each person may have their own major differences.  Mine is backlash.  I rarely get backlash with spinning.  I always get backlash with casting.

backlashes are usually lack of experience in casting reels.  i can cast much furher with my casting and more accurate to.  i also get less noise when it hits the water because you cast more up in the air with a baitcaster.  i always have both tho.  but i prefer the baitcaster much more comfortable and smoother and you dont have to open the reel everytime to cast

i will say tho it all depends on the reel itself there is huge differences in the expensive baitcasters and the $60 ones so it depends.  i will choose spinning over a low budget bc anyday.

I never thought I'd get to the point where I could say I'm more accurate with a baitcaster than a spinning rig. But I am now.

If I can cast it with a baitcaster, then I'll always choose a baitcaster. I will use a spinning rig for any lure under a 1/4 oz.

On top of that, spinning rigs make my tennis elbow act up  :(