Sign in to follow this  
Cracker

Broke tip???

I just broke the tip off one of my rods   just halfway from the tip to the first eye. I was thinking of just trimming it to the first eye and putting a sealer on the end of it. Will this work or is it just a waste of time? how would it affect the performance of the rod? :-/

Probably not a good idea...a lot of the sensitivity you feel is from the tip. Is it a nice rod and does it have a warranty? A new tip at your local shop would be $20 or less. Or send it in on the warranty.

no it is an old rod but I was hoping it would last till I had the coin to drop on the new combo I want.

Well I guess I am going to have to make a trip to wally world to get a cheapo rod to get me by.

No, just get a tip and glue it on with Super Glue. The rod you have will be just as good as anything you can buy at Wal-Mart. I doubt it will effect the "performance" of the rod.

::)

how many inches of the rod would be lost if you just trimmed it to the next guide?

same thing happened to one of my ultra light rods, and i just trimmed it to the first guide. i only lost about 3 or 4 inches, and the rod works fine.

if its a rod you dont really care about, trim it, if not, buy a guide replacement kit from the walmart fishing section. it will be a little package of 3 tips and a red tube of rod glue. they are pretty cheap.

here is one made by Fuji for only 6 bucks. not sure if the ones at walmart are Fuji though, but they look exactly like this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16514?cm_mmc=froogle-_-100-4-12-_--1-_-38-374-092-00&hvarAID=froogle&mr:trackingCode=C4199CE4-953C-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

and if you do get the rod tip repair kit, i dont reccomend that you use the "hot melt glue". i have found it kinda difficult to use. i just put a dab of 5 min epoxy in the rod tip with a toothpick and a little bit on the rod itself and slid the tip on. did this on my fly rod when my mom sucked it up in the vacuum and it works like new.

No, just get a tip and glue it on with Super Glue. The rod you have will be just as good as anything you can buy at Wal-Mart. I doubt it will effect the "performance" of the rod.

::)

co-sign

Hey Cracker,

Check here and do it yourself....

Rod Tip Repair

Tight Lines!!!