Sign in to follow this  
Triple R

Need help  picking a rod

Kinda new to bass fishing and I'm looking for some help on picking out what size and action rod's I should buy. I have a new Quantum Tour TE1170 Burner bait caster and a Quantum Tour TE30PTiAS spinning reel. I plan on useing the spinning reel for lighter baits and soft plastics and the bait caster for most everything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it's kinda confusing for me it seems like you need a different rod for almost every different lure you use. I was looking at buying G-Loomis rods.    Thanks

I would get a 6'6" MH casting rod and a 6'6" M spinning rod.  Get the best that you can afford.

I personally like loomis rods but st croixs are nice too.

I would say a 6'6'' to 7foot mh spinning rod because a medium is a little too whippy, this covers alot of tactics, weightless rigging, wacky rigging,shaky heading, and light t-rigs,

also the mh gives you more back bone to set the hook than a medium

and a 7ft heavy fast action or a 6'6'' heavy extra fast action baitcaster because it is better for heavy cover and more backbone for hooksets  ;)

Thanks for the info, I also have a new Daiwa 153HSTA on a St. Croix PC60MF any suggestions on what type of baits would work best with this set-up. I'm trying to get started with 2 baitcasters and one spinning reel any suggestions is greatly appeciated.

7' M for spinning, 7-7'6" M and 7-7'6" MH for the bc's. For me, bc's on anything shorter than 7' is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for the info, I also have a new Daiwa 153HSTA on a St. Croix PC60MF any suggestions on what type of baits would work best with this set-up. I'm trying to get started with 2 baitcasters and one spinning reel any suggestions is greatly appeciated.

For the hsta whydid you choose that rod, i guess you could use it for topwater

That rod will be great for spinnerbaits, worming and topwater. Get a 7' rod for C-rigs and deep jigging and you should be set there. Then, I would chose a 6'-6" Med or Med light spinning rod for minnow baits and split shotting.  

That rod will be great for spinnerbaits, worming and topwater. Get a 7' rod for C-rigs and deep jigging and you should be set there. Then, I would chose a 6'-6" Med or Med light spinning rod for minnow baits and split shotting.

Would you go with a MH fast action for the 7' rod?