Sign in to follow this  
Triple R

flippin and pitching rod

Need some advice on a rod for flippin and pitching. What would be a good size to learn with and what brand would be the best to buy. Does having a longer rod make it easier to flip and pitch?

Longer rod does help. I have two 7'6 rods, and a 7'3 when I do any type of pitching or flipping.

7-6 is a good size.it's easier to pitch and flip with.shorter people might need a shorter rod while taller people could go 8 ft.i'm 6-1 and use a 7-6.

Length does make a difference, I'm currently using a 7ft MH rod.  I have discovered that I want a flipping rod with a little more backbone so my winter project is going to be building a split grip flipping rod on a    loomis GLX heavy action blank.

Length does make a difference, I'm currently using a 7ft MH rod.  I have discovered that I want a flipping rod with a little more backbone so my winter project is going to be building a split grip flipping rod on a    loomis GLX heavy action blank.

An 895 would be a good blank. Or a 844 for Jigs.

Thanks for the advice, I'm kinda short 5'-7" to be exact. So I guess I should stick with a 7'-0" rod since it seems like anything longer my be a little harder for me to use. Is there any short people out there that use the longer rods without any trouble?  

Thanks for the advice, I'm kinda short 5'-7" to be exact. So I guess I should stick with a 7'-0" rod since it seems like anything longer my be a little harder for me to use. Is there any short people out there that use the longer rods without any trouble?  

I don't think height matters one bit. I'm 5'11-ish, and have NO trouble at all with an 8ft rod.

I don't like to flip and pitch with the same rod, but you can, and sometime I do. I use a 7'6" XH rod for flipping, a 7'6" MH for pitching.

Im 14 and 5' 9 ive been using 7' rods since i was 11.

If you have a balanced rod no problems.

7'6" for pitchn' and 7'11" for flippn'. I would say get a 7'6" and try it out and if you dont like it get the 7 footer.