Sign in to follow this  
Spades

Stringing line

I have both a Daiwa Megaforce bait caster and a Quantum KVD 20 spinning reel and I bought 40 LB test microfilament braided line. I strung both reels. Previously I had my bait casting reel strung with similar line but when I took it off I found that the people who had done it had a monofilament line strung on a few times before tying the braided line on and finish stringing. I know this is most likely the correct but this time I just strung the microfilament line right on the real with no monofilament first. Should I have strung it like it was originally strung with the mono then micro? Should I have done it the same way with the spinning reel too?

Yes...some mono on the spool first helps it grip the spool and keep from sliding.  You can also tape it to the spool, but most folks use mono backing, as it helps fill the spool as well (since braid is usually much thinner and would cost too much to fill the entire spool).  I imagine if you pull on your line you'll see the line slip on the spool.

Ok but this is not really going to affect my fishing is it? The line is securely tied to the reel before I began to string it.

Ok but this is not really going to affect my fishing is it? The line is securely tied to the reel before I began to string it.

Maybe.

Your line will slip and you will be unable to retrieve lures or fish.

So, yes, it will effect your fishing. Spool on about 30% mono and

you will have plenty of braid to use.

8-)

If you don't use a no-slip backer before spooling braids, I suspect that we will read about how your drags are slipping. This is the result of no backer...and not the drags.

Just my .02¢ from the bench.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Is the line tied to the spool( to one of the holes), or is the line tied around the spool with an arbor knot(preferred method)?