Sign in to follow this  
hawghunter1744

Perfect reel for dad

I LOVE fishing. Dad is trying to get to LOVE fishing. He fishes with me every single weekend and has taken strides in improvement. This past winter he was even able to upgrade to being able to use a baitcast reel as well as spinning. However, the baitcast reel he uses is pathetic to say the least. I've been fishing with a baitcast for several years and I still as unable to cast his over 20 feet without a backlash. I have a Quantum Accurist and Pflueger Purist and can launch a 10" ribbontail a long long long ways with no sign of backlash. For his upcoming birthday, I want to buy him a nice reel so that he doesn't constantly backlash. So after this long paragraph, my question is are there any particular reels that are made specifically for casting without backlashing??

All of them!    :)

If you like your reels, get him the one you like best.

Otherwise, the Shimano Citica is on sale for around $79.

This is a great real and an outstanding value.

8-)

BPS Extreme 79, will go on sale shortly for 59 , Excellent reel for the money.

I LOVE fishing. Dad is trying to get to LOVE fishing. He fishes with me every single weekend and has taken strides in improvement. This past winter he was even able to upgrade to being able to use a baitcast reel as well as spinning. However, the baitcast reel he uses is pathetic to say the least. I've been fishing with a baitcast for several years and I still as unable to cast his over 20 feet without a backlash. I have a Quantum Accurist and Pflueger Purist and can launch a 10" ribbontail a long long long ways with no sign of backlash. For his upcoming birthday, I want to buy him a nice reel so that he doesn't constantly backlash. So after this long paragraph, my question is are there any particular reels that are made specifically for casting without backlashing??

Like RW said  , it's usually the person  , not the reel. Just buy a quality reel and have him keep practising.

My local Sports Authority has Shimano Citica's (100D, 200D) for $65 and Shimano Curado's (100D, 200D) for $110. Other than a Citica, I would not waste my money in a real cheaper than $100.

How much do you want to spend? The Citica is great, but if you can spend the money, the Revo line up is awesome! I got the SX myself and love it.

As you have already stated, todays baitcasters are a little more user friendly than those older types...any decent baitcaster will probably serve him quite well actually...The citica seems to be the best deal though even though I like the Revos more...there is no way you can get as nice a quality reel for 70 bucks otherwise.

x3 It's the person not the reel that causes the backlashes. I bought a KVD signature series baitcaster and for a while I was backlashing like crazy. Then I read how to adjust the brake and practiced casting with it. I do not have nearly as many backlashes now since the adjustment and the practice These reels take some practice to master and I know I still have a lot more practice ahead of me to master mine.

If I were you I would pick a reel that you like so it will make it easier for you to help him out.

My daiwa advantage hsta's have sweet backlash controll the only few times i backlash is when i loosen up everything for flipping and pitching and go for a cast without resetting. I've tried all these reels as suggested hsta is better than them. Only might be a little heavy 8.5oz par will all the reels mentioned at this size for an older guy like your father sometimes my wrist get sore after a good 8hrs of fishing

Calais or calcutta dc it's hard the backlash ( i hear )

BPS Extreme 79, will go on sale shortly for 59 , Excellent reel for the money.

gonna agree with muddy here, i had a BPS rick clunn extreme and it was an "extreme"ly (pun intended...) easy reel to learn to cast without getting constant backlashes, and they're reasonably priced, too.

best of luck!

Anything Shimano.

The Curados are nice.

The CORE even better.  ;D

How much do you want to spend? The Citica is great, but if you can spend the money, the Revo line up is awesome! I got the SX myself and love it.

This is very true. I fish on a budget, and have 3 REVO S's myself. They are GREAT! EBAY has them for various prices NEW! i paid about $75 for each one.