Sign in to follow this  
Strike Prince

Good spinnerbait baitcaster/rod, 100-150 range?

Hey all..I'm a first time baitcaster and I'm looking into getting a rod/reel combo.  My plane is to have my spinning outfit for using soft plastics and my baitcaster for throwing spinnerbaits or other faster baits.

Any suggestions on rod/reel combinations in the 100-150 price range that would give me a good all purpose rig and also be suited to a newbie?  What rod actions,lengths, reel actions are pretty all purpose and not too specialized?  Thanks a lot friends.

PS I should also add that I live close to a Wal Mart and Cabelas, so if you guys know of anything they sell there that might fit the bill I appreciate it much.  Good luck ;)

Thanks a lot.

Welcome aboard!

This might help define some of the things you should look for when selecting a rod:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

8-)

That is a tough question to answer. A goof Frog rod IS NOT a good crankbait rod. You require different specifications for every technique. But, ill throw one at you:

Shimano Citica and a Berkley Lightning Rod (7', Medium Heavy). It will handle jigs, worms, frogs, senkos, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits.

Also, i hate to say it, but for an angler on a budget (like ME!!!!!!!!) Gander Mountain Rods are great. They have a rod for every technique, and are backed with a solid lifetime warrentee.

Id stick with a Citica for now. Its a good reel.

Im no expert on high end gear by no means, I just bought a G.Loomis Spinnerbait rod, been casting that thing for 2 days and love it, it's very light, sensitive and has plentry of backbone to pull in some nice bass. This may not be the rod of choice by the avid fishermen out here, but for the money and the weekend angler, its one sweet *** rod in my opinion. Althought the rod is a lil more then your buget.

Take a look at BPS Rick Clunn Series, I still have one and l do like it.

I recently got a 6'6" BPS Woo Daves Qualifier? and it does really well. Its $99.99. Ive not had a chance to try a wide variety of weights on it but I like it so far. For a reel a Pflueger Echolon is hard to beat for $65(regular price). If you can get the breaks dialed in its a good reel IMO.

You might want to check out the Bass Pro Extreme combo. The 6' 6" Woo Daves is their spinnerbait rod. I think the combo is $100 or $120.