Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Best line for casting reel..for a beginner....

I'm sure this topic has been covered here ad nauseum, but doing a search for it is not yeilding anything.

Is it easier to cast a baitcasting reel with mono, or flouro?

I'm sort of a beginner, and I have several differnt brands of reels, but I'm wondering if one type of line is easier to master than another?

Thanks-

Hey Mike: I have never used Flouro , as far as mono is concerned I use 10 to 15 lb test with ease,

Mono is the least expensive line and pretty forgiving. I use a copoly now (less stretch) but fished with mono for 25+yrs. Learned with 10 and 12lb. Pick up a bottle of KVD Line Conditioner. It REALLY helps with any memory your line has and helps when picking out "professional overruns" ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

I would start with a mono like trilene XT it is cheap, strong and is fairly easy to femove backlashes from.  Braid works good but you have to worry about reel adjustments more and backlashes can be a pain to get out.  If you start with mono in 10#-15# you will be able to switch to flouro or braid within a couple months and not risk headaches.

Fluoro is stiffer than mono in general and for the untrained thumb it tends to jump off the reel which can lead to some really deep birds nests.  I'd recommend mono or braid.  

Start with mono.  Floro is not a beginner-friendly line, and braid is too expensive to replace when you get the inevitable monster backlash.

Trilene XT is a good one.  However, Trilene XL is a little limper and more manageable.  Either way, you can't really go wrong.

And an equally important element in all this is the settings on the reel.  Start with the brakes on max and GRADUALLY lessen the brakes as you get better.

Once you get going, a casting reel gets as easy as any push button rod. When i'm fishing with people who just start using baitcasters ill whip a small crankbait out father than they can get a large spinner out and take my thumb off the reel completely and use my index finger on the spool.

On the long casts with a heavy lure, you can watch the birdsnest forming and then instantly disappear right before the lure hits the water. They are really easy to use. Even people who have used casting reels for years get backlash, so don't get discouraged.

As far as line goes, i use Berkley, Trilen XL smooth casting 12lb mono and i'm doing fine with it right now. Although i am getting low and its starting to get some memory.

Trilene XL. Good all-purpose line.

Falcon