Sign in to follow this  
DCfish

Braided lines and terminal tackle

I've decided I'm going to give fushion line a try. Got nothing to loose except . . . well, won't go there. Am using Fireline in 14lb smoke color. I've done enough reading on features of supers vs mono vs flouro, but one thing I really haven't seen and don't know myself is whether I use a leader at the end of the super line or not.  Do I tie the line directly onto the lure? Use a connector or swivel between line and lure? Connect a leader to the fushion line then leader to lure?

I would say no, tie directly to the lure with a Palomar/ double wrapped uni know.  Your line is thin and in a low-vis color.  If you're having a problem with abrasion, a leader might help.  I assume this is on spinning gear?  Maybe try stepping up to 20lb test if you are breaking off on the hookset at 14.

Welcome aboard!

Report back on how you like the line after fishing it awhile.

Most people have issues with Fireline and think it is some

of the worst line they have ever used. It's actually a "superline",

not braid.

::)

Thanks to both. Using it on a casting reel. Not sure why other than want to give it a try - wondering if I'll notice the sensitivity when using a worm or crawfish on the bottom. I have two salt rods with firleine that I've used for a few years now. Very much like the sensitivity - casting with spinning reel seems fine.  Depending on what I'm doing, I will use a leader of mono or fluoro. Not crazy about the fray on the terminal end when using a palomar. Have had issues with it kinking a bit in the reel, but no real problems. In all, don't think it's the worst line I've used, but not sure I'm sold on it. Do think it's good for being on the bottom.

If your using it on a casting reel go with I would say power pro. 50 pound or so because it  has the diameter of 12 pound. It floats and has no stretch. And no memory once you break it in.

I've tried PowerPro, Spiderline and Sufix braid and the Sufix is the best in my opinion. If you decide to get away from the superlines, give it a try.

If you're fishing clear water you might want to consider a fluoro leader, but other than that I suggest you tie the superline right to the lure with a palomar knot. The palomar is very easy to learn and is a very sturdy knot.

If you decide to use a leader, try to use a line that is similar in diameter to the superline. I've always used a uni-to-uni knot when tying a leader to my main line, but there are others that are just as effective or even better.

I fish with power pro alot.  The only time I use a leader is for top waters like spooks and poppers etc. and that's only because the braid is so limp it wraps around the rod tip when "walking" or popping.  I no longer use leader for any other reason.

I do however use a black sharpie to dye the last few feet black.  My water is generally stained and this blackening is all the camouflage that's needed.  The easiest method I have found is to use a sharpie with a chisel tip.  then cut a slot in the tip with a pen knife.  Next strip out about 6 feet of line or so and run it through the slot.  Voila!! less visible line.  

I fish with 30# Phantom Red Power Pro, and it seems pretty invisible, since red filters out first, and it only has the diameter of 8# . :-/ The only time I'd use a leader is for topwater, walk-the-dog lures.

The only reason to really use a snap swivel is for a wider wobble on cranks, other than that you would be messing with the action of your lure.

:)

Thanks for the help and comments back. Fished for just a few minutes last night before a storm hit. Caught two small largemouth under 3lb, but did enough casting/bouncing to give me a sense of the line. In all, ok, used a spinnerbait for a bit then worm rigged carolina style. Biggest thing I noticed is that I feel everything (which is one of reason I want to try) so will take a while getting used to bottom vs fish. Have had that issue when using superline driftfishing in saltwater.