Sign in to follow this  
anglermangler

Quantum???

I'm just curious as to why so many fisherman out there have such strong feelings about Quantum reels? I've been using a Quantum spinning reel for quite some time that I got used from my father in law who used it for quite a while too and I honestly love the reel, it's been on 3 different rods since I got it and wont be leaving my side for a while.

I am not bad mouthing anyone I'm just curious as to why so many have such issues with the company since I just ordered a new Accurist baitcaster with the 7.0 burner gears lol.

AnglerMangler

I started a thread a few days ago detailing the problems I was having with my new Energy PT cutting my line. The eyelet/grommet in the level wind mechanism was split. Reel Mechanic said they were supposed to be one piece ceramic, so off it went to Dick's. They replaced it no problem, the new one is a one piece grommet. Not a good start for the reel but  

I've had other items show a defect, not limited to Quantums.

I have nowhere near the experience many of the folks on this forum have, but excepting the (one-time) problem, I like the feel and operation of the reel. Lots of guys here do not however.

I have no problems with Quantum.   Actually have a Wally World Quantum BC combo that I love.  It is my spinnerbait rod, and it also doubles as my Trig rod, topwater, etc...  It casts like a dream and has caught the majority of the fish I have caught in the last two years....  not bad for $59.99.  It is the one rod and reel that I never leave home without. ;)

Although my Shimanos see most of the action, I still have a few Quantums that get used for certain techniques. All of my remaining Quantums are the Accurist models; CXs, PTs, and PTS(saltwater). I guess I have two favorites combos; Shimano Citica on G.Loomis, and Quantum Accurist on Carrot Stix.

Besides being heavy, I never much understood why so many people don't like Quantum. Their spinning reels (at least the high end ones) are about as smooth as they come. I don't know much about their baitcasters, but people that own them and use them seem to like them very much.

How's their customer service?

I purchased a Quantum Code on a thursday night to replace a reel that was being serviced at the time. I took the reel fishing on friday morning and within 1-1/2 hrs of fishing it started screeching horribly. My fishing buddy even told me that the sound of the screeching was annoying him and I better use my other reel instead. I returned it to BPS that same day and promised never to get a Quantum again.

thanks for the replies all, i really hope it works out for me cause right now i'm down to 1 baitcaster and have personally never had a problem with quantums in the past but have only used their spinning reels.

Thanks again and i'm really hoping for the best here.

AnglerMangler

I had one of the older Energy PT baitcasting reels when they first came out. I had to send that thing in two different times after the second time they sent me the 860 PTXM which was supposed to be an upgrade from the E600PT but it really wasn't. After all that I ended up going back to shimano.

I have an older Quantum crankbait baitcaster (can't remember the model off the top of my head but its pre-Accurist era) that I still use. 1 Quantum Profile that's mainly a back up reel now if I need to take one out of the line up for maintenance. I own several Accurists (I've only had problems with one of the first gen Accurist PT's I have). I also have an Energy 640PT, an Energy Burner (E770PT) and an Energy E750PT. I have two Quantum Kinetic spinning reels as well.  No complaints here.