Sign in to follow this  
grimlin

st.croix Triumph rod

Who here has experience with their spinning rods?

Looking to get a 6'6" medium/fast this saturday.  

I used one for a few years. still have the rod and now use for trout fishing bigger rivers. i like them alot. alot of people bash then about the weight and sensitvity but i will be ownest i'm more into how my reel feels then my rod. plus if you put a super light reel like a stella or a steez on a rod like that it will feel heavy. it won't be no where near balanced. for exapmple why do you think steez makes super lite rods for there reels. cause most rods seem heavey when trying to balance a reel as light as the steez. but for 70 bucks or so the triumphs are nice rods.

I love st croix rods, as my entire arsenal of rods are st croixs.  However for around that price point I'd go with the BPS extreme rods.  They go on sale all the time so if they aren't on sale for $60 now wait a little bit and they will be.

Thats a good decent rod, but the guys who look at brand as a status symbol are all up in arms that such a "lowly rod", made outside the US is beneath that name. Depends on wheter you want a rod that is a decent fishing tool or want others to know what a pro you are because you know what names to fish ;D

i dont know if i agree with that ^^ .... i fish st croix and really like the rods ... to be honest i dont fish the trumph for 2 reasons .... 1 i want to make sure im buying rods that are supporting guys here in WI ( i mean if im buying a croix ) ... 2 i prefer the better warrenty ... other than that ,, the stick isnt bad ... from what i understand its built on a scII blank .... solid componits on that blank ... for the price it should be a great stick ... it also comes with a 3 year warrenty i believe ... again at that price ...

I don't have a Triumph, but have a Premier, which is made on the same blank, and it is pretty sensitive. Not as sensitive as my Techna AV, but still sensitive. I have a Shimano Convergence, which is a great rod for the money, so i would also check into the Clarus, which i believe has an upgraded blank over the Convergence. I'm sure that with whatever you choose, you'll be happy.  :)

This is gonna be a replacement rod for now...i broke the tip off my good one. :) So i need a rod before the weekend to go fishing.

It's pretty much a toss up between St. croix's triumph or shimano clarus ...they both run the same price. I just gotta figure out which one is the nicer rod.

I'm pretty sure the Clarus has a lifetime over the counter warranty, just food for thought in case you break the tip off  :)

Who here has experience with their spinning rods?

Looking to get a 6'6" medium/fast this saturday.

I have that exact rod (2 piece) and love it. I take it on every fishing trip with me and if I am not fishing with it, then its there as my backup rod.

The rod is quality enough to enjoy fishing with it and cheap enough that I don't stress over it getting beat up from extreme use. I tend to baby my equipment that costs over $100 So it is hard for me to enjoy them like I do my Triumph.

I have a 6'6" ML Triumph that I have been beating up for a couple years now.  It sees a lot of use and abuse and keeps on going.  I would not hesitate to buy another one, but I have not fished any other rods in this price range.

My only complaint is that the reel seat occasionally comes unloose.

The best way to figure out the differences between the two rods, would be when you go to get either rod, make sure you take the reel your going to use and ask permission from the store to mount the reel on each rod to be able to feel the differences in each system.

That's the best way to pick.....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!