Sign in to follow this  
XbassmasterX

St. Croix or Fenwick in the price range???

alrite I have just bought a curado 200dhsv (701 gear ratio) and wanted to put it on a better rod than the shimano one it came on but I dont know what would be better either a

St. Croix Avid

Fenwick Techna AV

(fenwick Hmg Hmx) cheaper but could still be an opition

either way it would be a 7' med or med-heavy rod fast action or so this could change but any comments or thoughts on these rods or if you have anything that is comparable in this price range would be greatly appreciated

I have both an Avid and Techna AV. Both are good rods but IMO the Avid is a bit more sensitive.

I fish both brands and you will like whichever you choose. Since

Fenwick raised their prices on the Techna AV, I think the new Avids

are a better value: comparable quality, lower price.

8-)

depending on what you wanna do ... that avid 7ft med hev fast ,,, is a must have IMO ... i love mine for jigs ,, plastic...

thanks everyone

I think I might just get that St. Croix Avid once they do have a life time warenty and I own some St. Croix rods myself and they seem to be my favorite rods I have owned since so        

tryed my buddies new Avid 7' spinning with a sustain  WOW amazing   very lite and sensitive

now the debate is over either a med or med heavy hmm

Mike bat is your Avid the newer model? and if so how stiff is it for being a med-heavy rod

I've fished the Avid, AV and the HMG (I own quite a few HMGs). IMO, the Fenwick HMG is the equivalent of the Avid, and the Techna AV is a better rod than either.

The HMG is less expensive than the Avid, representing a better value. The Techna AV is a better rod than the Avid, but costs more. The HMG and Techna AV both have lifetime warranties.  

The Avid's a nice rod, but costly for what you get.

Mike bat is your Avid the newer model? and if so how stiff is it for being a med-heavy rod

i have the older modle ... i havent had a chance to fish the new one yet ... however i do have a few friends that have the new ones ... they really like thier rods ... i believe the olny difference is ipc .... im sure the new ones are as good ,, more than likly better than the older modle ...

as for the med-hev fast ,, its a great stick ... plenty of power ,, and it does have a fast taper ... they are pritty fast sticks ... i use the med-hevs because i tend to fish in and around cover ... i also like tossing jigs that are around 1/2oz ... the avid had a great back bone so jig sets are nice ... some may prefer the med ,,, im sure thats a great stick too ... but for what i like to do the med-hev fast is a must have ... i toss alot of t-rigs ,, jigs ,, senkos in heavy cover ... this rod is sweet ....

i have the older modle ... i havent had a chance to fish the new one yet ... however i do have a few friends that have the new ones ... they really like thier rods ... i believe the olny difference is ipc .... im sure the new ones are as good ,, more than likly better than the older modle ...

as for the med-hev fast ,, its a great stick ... plenty of power ,, and it does have a fast taper ... they are pritty fast sticks ... i use the med-hevs because i tend to fish in and around cover ... i also like tossing jigs that are around 1/2oz ... the avid had a great back bone so jig sets are nice ... some may prefer the med ,,, im sure thats a great stick too ... but for what i like to do the med-hev fast is a must have ... i toss alot of t-rigs ,, jigs ,, senkos in heavy cover ... this rod is sweet ....

Yea mostly this rod will be throwin jig and pigs 1/2 to 3/4 oz or so t-riged worms and senkos just as you do so sounds great that you have a good success with your avid (also be an all around for a short while)

but for micro

thats what I have heard both sides of the story that the "HMG is equal to the avid" your  qoute not mine as I have not fished both rods

but havent heard as much talk about the AV vs. the Avid hopefully I will get the chance to own both some day but for now I will have to decide on just buying one of them most likely what goes on sale or if once in a life time deal pops up apon me

thanks to evvery1 who commented

St Croix and Fenwick are my 2 favorite rods. I own both Avids and HMG's I think the Avid is lighter and a bit more sensitive. Same goes for the St Croix Legend Tournament vs. Techna AV, the nod goes to the St Croix. But the HMX blows the Premier out of the water, both in price, and performance. All Fenwick and St Croix rods are well made.

I haven't fished the GL IMX to any extent.  I've heard from more people than not who own both that the Techna AV is in the same class as the IMX, with many saying it's better.  

As for the HMG vs. Avid thing.  I've only fished the Avid for a little while (I don't own one, and I don't own and AV).   But I didn't notice any difference in weight between the two rods I fished (not that I was checking, but I would have noticed if it were significant).  According to TackleTour, the Fenwick HMG 6'6" medium GT66M weighs 4.2 oz, while the Avid AC66MHM weighs 4.1 oz.  I'd think that's hardly noticable.  And for $50+ less, that's a pretty darn good compromise.

The AV I fished, a 6'6" MH rod, seemed did very light and ultra sensitive.    If I buy another rod, I'll probably go with an AV.  

The one thing I do like about the Avid is the contoured grip.

If you are leaning towards the Techna AV, check out the pricing at Amazon.  Amazon is an authorized dealer and typically lists the Techna AV's for about a 20 to 25% discount of MSRP.  Some of their sales are fantastic.  Due a seach for the recent discussion.  TW will pricematch Amazon.

I can't comment on the Avid, but the first time I took my 7' MF  (119 grams) rod worming, I got so excited about its performance that I ordered a 6'6" MHF (118 grams) rod for jigs.  Initially I didn't appreciate the Techna AV because I was using only moving baits.  

St. Croix.