Sign in to follow this  
memo43

How use a  to Bait caster

Just wondering if any one can give me some poynters on useing a baitcaster. A friend of mine highly recommended them to me, so much he bought me one. It's a Pleuger MAXX medium action 6'6" one piece rod.

I have had to restring it about 3-4 times already because of the messes that i make :-/ :-/. I have owed it for 2-3 months now have not gone fishing with it. I do practice with it every chance i get about 10-15 minutes a day if not more. I am currently useing a 2"inch bobber as a practice lure.

Can some one show me where to place my thumb. how to hold it, cast, etc etc. remember pic are worth a thousand words. heck a video would be even better.

thanks,

memo

here are some tips for ya i just started using a baitcaster this year too and i liked it so much i bought 2 and i don't bring my spinning rod with me anymore ;D

1) its easier if you start with something heavier, try practicing with a sinker or something. i started off throwing a spinner.

2) play with your brake settings i have 0-10 on mine, the higher the number the more forgiving it is. i started at 10 and now i'm down to 7.

3) play with your cast control settings (the knob by the crank) i like mine a little loose ;)

4) start off with cheap line, like you said you've already re-spooled twice

5) don't use braid, since it has no stretch you'll tend to lose alot of lures due to birds nests.

6) its all about thumb control, start with gentle side sweeping casts and focus on when you release and when you re-apply your thumb to stop the spool keep your eye on your lure and before it makes contact with the water or ground stop the spool with your thumb. with time you can usually envision the lure flying through the air, i can actually not look at my lure and just stop it right on time..

7) just take it out with you and give it a chance, but start with a heavier lure, mono line, and gentle sideways sweeping casts.

8) come back and let me know how you're doing :)

Here is a video I watched to learn how to set up the baitcaster.

I don't find his explanation of casting to be very helpful though.  Essentially if you take your arm and make a motion like you are throwing a baseball in slow motion you will notice that you will flick your wrist to really propel the ball.

A baitcaster is cast using a flick of the wrist and it relates to a baseball throw.  It doesn't take much, practice with a slow snap of the wrist and gradually work your way up. For beginning just use a slow lobbing arm motion with a slow flick of the wrist near the arch of the arm motion.  Once you become more comfortable start making the motion faster.  When you flick your wrist you will get more power by turning the reel 90 degrees in mid cast, or in towards your body.      

Now once the bait is in the air you need to practice using your thumb to slow down the speed that the spool is spinning at.  Just keep your thumb barely touching the spool while in the air, and right before it hits the water tighten your grip up.

I don't know if any of that made sense because I just got back from the bar... the biggest thing is Practice.

thanks for the responces,

I have been using heavy sinkers an what not. I was able to get some good practice, with them. That is why i am now at the bobber.

I guess that I am expecting to much to fast. but then again i guess that is in our nature.

I will take both advice thanks RoseAngler an JacobK.

as soon as i catch something i will post some pics an youu will be the first to know.

memo

I tried using a baitcaster several years ago, but gave up quickly because I didn't know what I was doing and was sick of playing with knots in my line instead of fishing.  I can understand that, with practice, one can overcome the hassle.  What I don't understand is, why do so many people choose to use baitcasters?  What is the advantage over the spinning reel?  From what I have read, it seems to come down to preference, but why go through the hassle of learning the technique?  Why do you guys who use baitcasters prefer them?

I felt the same way until 2 years ago, I was soley a spinning guy. When I started moving away from the shore to deeper water, the line twist was really getting to me, which i had learned to get around while fishing shallow water.

The more I used bait casting, while I was casting a little less distance I found my self becoming more accurate with a baitcaster . I also was able to fell the bottom better and have better control over certain lures. I now only rarely use the one spinning outfit i have in the boat, I mostly use it pond hopping and fishing rivers from the shore

I tried using a baitcaster several years ago, but gave up quickly because I didn't know what I was doing and was sick of playing with knots in my line instead of fishing.  I can understand that, with practice, one can overcome the hassle.  What I don't understand is, why do so many people choose to use baitcasters?  What is the advantage over the spinning reel?  From what I have read, it seems to come down to preference, but why go through the hassle of learning the technique?  Why do you guys who use baitcasters prefer them?

Spin king, I also felt the same way you did about 2 months ago.  I made myself learn the baitcaster and now I can cast it further and with more acuracy then a spinning rig.  Like I described above when you are casting a baitcaster it is just like throwing your bait, and once you learn it you won't turn back.

i am in the minority (maybe the only one) who prefers spinning. i do use both, however i only use the baitcaster for heavier baits. maybe its because i mostly use light tackle.

baitcaster gives you more accuracy because you can slow the bait down with your thumb before it goes over your target. also less line twist.

spinning reel makes it easier to skip baits and cast lighter weights. also i you dont switch hands after the cast. i like to keep my finger on the line while im dragging plastics and jigs and i prefer to do that on spinning gear.

I tried using a baitcaster several years ago, but gave up quickly because I didn't know what I was doing and was sick of playing with knots in my line instead of fishing. I can understand that, with practice, one can overcome the hassle. What I don't understand is, why do so many people choose to use baitcasters? What is the advantage over the spinning reel? From what I have read, it seems to come down to preference, but why go through the hassle of learning the technique? Why do you guys who use baitcasters prefer them?

I've just been using a baitcaster a few months as well. I can easily outcast spinning gear now with far greater accuracy. The first several weeks I had problems with backlashes but now, I have the reel well dialed in and have developed good habits with casting. Unless I just pulled out a snag (using braid now) and had the line dig in, I very rarely get a backlash anymore. And on the few times I do, its almost always because I just wasnt paying attention. Baitcasters tend to be so versitile, you owe it to yourself to give them a real chance!

i like to keep my finger on the line while im dragging plastics and jigs and i prefer to do that on spinning gear.

It's a lot easier to do that with a baitcaster than a spinning rig.

I use spinning for light lures as well.

Everything else is done on baitcasters now for me.

my Bait Caster doesn't have a knob for weight adjustments, all it has is the tension (the one next to the handle) the adjust ments should still be the same right?

I can get beautiful cast with a 1/4 lead weight or bobber, but the moment that i put a lure on it an tried to fish  :-X :-X nest.

but i will get it an then,,,, gonna rip some lips.

memo

ok I think i have it down now, thanks to all of you, now another question.

I am useing 12lb test (as recommended by the manufact) but why is it that I can only cast heavy lures 3/8 an so on, but nothing lighter. Is it just more prac that i need or is my reel/ rod not designed for it.

I am comfortably an consistently casting out to 40-50 yds.

just keep practiceing, also can I use a lighter line like 8lb. (the reel says 10, 12, 14 lbs)

thanks

memo

I am comfortably an consistently casting out to 40-50 yds.

just keep practiceing, also can I use a lighter line like 8lb. (the reel says 10, 12, 14 lbs)

The reason you don't want to use 8# test line on that reel (there are BC reels built to use smaller line diameters) is the clearance between the spools outer edge and the spool race will let 8# diameter lines get into the outer race and bind up the spool. There are some really fine reels that are made to handle light lines, otherwise use spinning gear for your 8# test.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

thanks for the promt reply Reel Mechanic, being on this site is proably the next best thing to actually fishing (almost unless I' getting skunked)

memo

why is it that I can only cast heavy lures 3/8 an so on, but nothing lighter.

memo

If you just cant get any distance the rod may be to heavy a power with to stiff tip. The lighter the power, the softer the tip and the slower the action the better it will handle light lures.

My Medium Power, Soft Tip, Fast Action will throw 1/4 oz just as far as the same reel will cast a 3/8 oz on a Medium-Heavy, Stiff, Fast.

If its backlashing unless you use excessive clutch you may need to remove the left side cover and adjust the brakes. Lighter lures generally need more brakes as the slow more quickly in the air resulted in the backlash. I use 4/10 brake and more clutch with 3/8 and 6/10 brake and less clutch with 1/4 oz. My reel has magnetic brakes which are usually have finer adjustments than than centifugal. I would guess you have 6 or 8 pin centri. I have not tried less since I dont have a rod rated for less than 1/4 ounce.

Its also possible that reel just doesnt handle light lures well. Some do better than others.

PS I have just returned after a 20 year hiatus from Baitcasters so others may have better advice but this is what works for me.

Well thanks to everyone here, I finally have it, (still get a tiny bit unravel). So i was working on Sunday >;).

But being the dedicated person I am. I went fishing with my bait caster only. Around 11 AM I went to the Chapowamsic Creek, an the activity was all there.

I was able to get multiple hits ;D ;D ;D, but some how forgot about setting the hook ::)

long story short I landed 5 LMB between 2 - 4lbs. the biggest being my first with the BC. (useing a Pumkin green senko T-riged.) The wheather did it for them, the activity was insane.

My buddy also taught me a trick he learned from reading online. I will try an make a video an post it.

within minutes of trying his techinque (an what I learned here) I was able to double my cast (an his ;D ;D)

NO WORRIES IF YOU WANT IT ENOUGH YOU'LL LEARN IT,

ITS LIKE LEARNING TO DRIVE MANUEL YOU CONTROL SPEED, BRAKE CLUTCH (RESISTINCE), AND MOMENTUM

START OFF WITH EVERYTHING ALMOST TIGHTENED DOWN ( I READ ALOT OF HOW-TO'S, IT HELPED BUT USUALLY PEOPLE THAT WRITE THESE ALREADY KNOW HOW TO CAST VERY WELL AND KNOW THE CONCEPT OF USING A BAITCASTER, THEY FORGET SOME PEOPLE GO IN BLIND.

I USED AN ACTUAL SPINNER BAIT WITH THE HOOK CUT OFF

THAT BOBBER UR USING MIGHT BE TOO LIGHT, LEARN HOW TO USE UR THUMB TO STOP BEFORE YOU TRY DISTANCE AND ACCURACY, SLOWLY LOOSEN YOU DRAG AS YOU LEARN HOW TO STOP THEN COMES THE DISTANCE AND ACCURACY

OH!! MY BIGGEST MISTAKE WAS CHANGING LURES(WIEGHTS) WHEN I WAS LEARNING, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT DOWN AND YOU CHANGE LURES(WEIGHTS) YOU HAVE TO RELEARN IT ALL OVER AGAIN

HOPE THIS HELPS