Sign in to follow this  
Muddy

Question about rod storage

Hey Fella; I am braking everything down this morning, school has put an early and ugly end to my season. I have one of those round display type wooden rod racks, is it safe to keep my rods on it over the winter? It's in my room away from direct sunlight. Or should I put them in my pvc rod tubes like I do every year? I just got the rack.

Reel Mechanic told me he stores his vertically (standing up or hanging), never horizontally (laying down).  He said if you hang it by the tip guide then first remove the reel to get the weight off.  After that you can use a cup hook to hand it by.  

Muddy,

Yeah it will work, but take the reels off of the rods, believe it or not rods stored with the reels on them tend to put a twisting weight on the blank at the seat area. That's why I always store without reels (plus it keeps the reels from collecting dust and grim).... :D

As far as storing in the PVC tubes, yup that will work also but I stand any PVC up vertically also.

Tight Lines!!!

Thanks: Yea I take the reels off clean and lube as needed, crank the drags low and they go in a protected reel case for the winter.

I keep the tubes up, but I want to use this rack as it's easier then I can lay the tubes down and keep them outta the way

Sorry Muddy - it is a sad day when the stuff has to hibernate. I'm about 3 wks. away.... :-/ :'( :D >:) :-[

Yea you right! I don't like posting this kind of stuff here, gives our Southern Brothers too much chance to rub it in ;D