Sign in to follow this  
catchyboo

frog rod

hello bass anglers,

i'm new to this site but i'm growing up bass fishing and, i need ur advice on frog rods, i have hard decide what frog rod i would like to get, i'm fans to shimano cruical and probabaly try different frog rods that will throw a 1/4 oz mouse and 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz frogs, i need that kind rod that can haul a big bass with 20 pound salad, i'm looking good with soild hookset, but i do have a shimano 7'2" curical x heavy rod but would like to looking for short than 7'2" any advice ..

thanks Josh

I frog alot and was using a 7ft heavy fast shimano clarus with a 6.4.1 gear ratio reel

I have since upgraded to a 7ft XH carrot stick with a new curado burner reel. I love this combo it is a dream to set the hook,reel up slack line and control fish in even the heaviest grass.

IMO the reel and line are more important in frogging. I could put my curado with 80lb power pro braid on my old 7ft H fast action Clarus it would still be just as good. You need heavy braid and at least a 7.0.1 ratio reel.

BTW the Carrot stick &ft XH is only 150 about as much as a Crucial :)

Not sure why you want a rod shorter then 7'2. Maybe you fish frogs real close, but I've noticed a HUGE difference in my hook up rate switching from a 7ft to a 7'6 rod for frogs. Long casts, especially in junk, longer and stiffer rod has helped me a lot.

I use a Dobyns 766 for frogs, and absolutely love it. I pulled an 8.4 out of a ton of junk with ease, along with numerous 7's.

I am Currently using a Team Diawa Frog rod that I love. It 7' 4" and is telescopic. I caught plenty of good fish on this rod and have no problem with the hook set or getting them out of the salad with them. You can really control the fish with it. I agree though you really want a good fast reel and quality heavy braid.

Not sure why you want a rod shorter then 7'2. Maybe you fish frogs real close, but I've noticed a HUGE difference in my hook up rate switching from a 7ft to a 7'6 rod for frogs. Long casts, especially in junk, longer and stiffer rod has helped me a lot.

I use a Dobyns 766 for frogs, and absolutely love it. I pulled an 8.4 out of a ton of junk with ease, along with numerous 7's.

not always true .. i find longer sticks tend to be slugish on hooksets ... ive used 2 different frog rods longer than 7ft bolth had issues setting the hook on that quick bite ... also the more i fish a frog i found out how important it is to hit precise spots with the frog ,, the 7ft rod will be more accurate ... for my frogging there is one rod ... the st croix LTB slop n frog rod ,,, this rod is 7ft heavy fast ... dont ever be fooled the LTB is a beast ... it preformes above and beyond in almost every froging situtation ...  crisp fast hooksets or those fast bites ,,,, rock solid power throughout  ... for get about what the rod looks like or even that is says st croix on it ,,, the ltb slop n frog does just that and does it well ... ive put mine through the paces it has handled everything exactly like it should ... if you fish frogs alot there is no need for any other rod ...  :)

not always true .. i find longer sticks tend to be slugish on hooksets ... ive used 2 different frog rods longer than 7ft bolth had issues setting the hook on that quick bite ... also the more i fish a frog i found out how important it is to hit precise spots with the frog ,, the 7ft rod will be more accurate ... for my frogging there is one rod ... the st croix LTB slop n frog rod ,,, this rod is 7ft heavy fast ... dont ever be fooled the LTB is a beast ... it preformes above and beyond in almost every froging situtation ...  crisp fast hooksets or those fast bites ,,,, rock solid power throughout  ... for get about what the rod looks like or even that is says st croix on it ,,, the ltb slop n frog does just that and does it well ... ive put mine through the paces it has handled everything exactly like it should ... if you fish frogs alot there is no need for any other rod ...  :)

I, along with many others, are far more accurate with a 7'6 then a 7, and I know a few guys who can cast on a dime with a 6ft rod. It's all about comfort for the user. Anyone can get good with any length.

Having said that, I make long casts with frogs, and having the extra 6 inches is the difference between hooking the fish and not. I have proven it time and time again.

As for sluggish, maybe it just takes some time getting used to, or getting a less tip heavy rod. Sometimes it's better to wait a second before setting with frogs anyway  ;D

Get what you feel most comfortable with, but these are all things to think of before buying the rod.

this will also depend on how you fish a frog also ... i tend to keep my rod tip low ,, i use a snapping retrieve simmilar to a spook walk the dog ... i tend to keep good contact with the frog as im working it to the boat ... so any fast strikes or slurps ,, i tend to set the hook quick ... you spend too much time the bass will spit the frog ,, mainly on a quick bite ... i also make long casts and have a good hookup ratio ... so take some time as brokeju says ,, think about every little detail ... i didnt so i baught 3 frog rods and 1 reg rod for frogging before i setteled on a LTB frog rod ... i sure wish i would have really thought about what i needed and took more time before just buying a rod ...  :)

I use a 7'3" MH carrot stix, it is very stout, and gives me a very strong hook set even on long casts.

Not sure why you want a rod shorter then 7'2.

I know a few guys who can cast on a dime with a 6ft rod. It's all about comfort for the user. Anyone can get good with any length.

7' Heavy here.  AVC70HF Avid.  I'd like to get that LTB, though.  Maybe for Christmas. :)

for frog fishing i really like the kistler he76hc.  it's absolutely perfect for skipping a frog or toad under a dock or bombing it a mile.  great tip for making it walk in open water and plenty of backbone.  its not your typical heavy power rod.  its slightly lighter with a fast action perfect for frog fishing with braid.  its also my favorite carolina rig rod.

ben

Curado E7 it has a 7.0.1 gear ratio. For frogging all you need is a fast ratio, I would rather have a 7.0.1 Bass Pro extreme reel than a 6.4.1 Steez. So any high speed reel will do.

Hey what kind of reels are you guys using on these rods?

The bait monkey told me to tell you to get this as your perfect frog reel

Team Daiwa® Zillion 7.3:1 Hyper-Speed Special Edition

I now have 3 frog rods, one for swimming frogs, one for slop, and one for fishing out of my little jon boat.  All I have to say is the delay before hookset makes all the difference and having a quick reel to pick up the slack helps tons.

post-7188-130162925648_thumb.jpg