Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

2nd year braid

Every year at the end of the fishing season i remove my fishing line from my reels. I always start out with new line when spring comes. I got a rod and reel combo with 30 lb Sufix braid on it and was curious if it is nessecary to take that braid off and put new braid on in the spring? Over the winter normal line would become weak but im not sure if braid would do the same?  Should I keep it on or replace it? Thanks everyone

Keep it on. Unlike mono, it is not affected by UV light so as long as the line doesn't have nicks or other damage, braid is always good to go. The braid on my Curado 201 BSF has been on for 3 seasons.

Some of my braid has been on for over 5 years.  If you want to freshen it up then take it off and turn it around.

I like to change my braid often. I can't stand it when the waxy stuff they put on it comes off. It becomes really limp and unmanageable for me.

I keep my braid on as long as there's still enough line left. No problems.

I keep it on, but cut off a few feet every outing or so.

A strength of braid relative to mono (not sure about flouro) is that it is not sensitive to moisture.  If you live in the north and leave your mono line out in the garage for the winter it will dry out and become stiff and brittle.  Even new mono on the spool should be kept inside where the relative humidity is likely to be higher.

I agree that braid can last a long time, many years.  Just be sure to inspect that last few feet of it to be sure it isn't damaged.  And as someone else mentioned, if you use a leader on it, rety that quite regularly.

i would change it cause I have had bad experiences with old braid, losing nice fish isn't fun.

i usually change mine since i fish rocky areas which wear them down fast but keep it as long as you have enough to fish without worries

Some of my braid has been on for over 5 years. If you want to freshen it up then take it off and turn it around.

;)

Dang, I wouldn't be able to not change my line for a year. I like to change my line alot. Just factors out one more thing not to go wrong. Also, I lose braid when I re-tie, so I can't see how braid would last me a year, let alone 5. I guess some of you don't fish as much as I do. Almost every day. ;D

I keep my braid on as long as there's still enough line left. No problems.

Same here....also a Sufix user.

After 2-3 season I inverte it so I have fresh line again