Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

1 piece rod, 2 piece rod, or does it matter??

I've read that a 2 piece rod is not as sensitive as a 1 piece rod. I want a 1 piece rod and wanted it to be a Shimano Clarus in a 6'6" medium power with a fast tip and they only make it in a 2 piece according to their website. Would you still go with that rod even though it's a 2 piece??

I have a couple of 2 piece rods here at home that I normally just jam together so tightly that they're like a 1 piece. I go for years at a time and don't take them apart or even check them when I go fishing the next time. On the rare occasion when I've needed to take one apart I had to have my wife grab one end and I held the other and we both pulled HARD to get them apart. That's how well they hold. So if I get a 2 piece rod it likely won't be an issue of coming apart. Just don't want to lose that sensitivity cause that's the whole reason I want it to begin with.

You can think of a rod as a member with a fixed end and an unrestricted end with 6 unrestricted global degrees of freedom. When you apply a load at the tip of this cantilevering member, moments create internally in the rod. These are greatest at the handle and diminish linearly as you approach the tip. At midspan, the moments and shears are considerable. A joint will transfer shears just fine, but cannot provide a perfect moment transfer. In other words, it acts as a partially restrained joint. This means that there is going to occur some rotation due to the introduction of the joint. Clear?

Rooster, what technique/s do you intend to use the rod for?  ;)

I would advise that you break down your 2 piece rods after using them. Leaving it assembled can't be good for the rod (The little book I got with my St. Croix rod says so)

I have 2 piece rods for travel purposes but I have starting buying 1 piece now that I live closer to a lake. I enjoy the 1 piece much better. I find that they are more sensitive but I could not tell you the science behind why/if they are.

I've read that a 2 piece rod is not as sensitive as a 1 piece rod.

It depends on the quality of the 1 piece vs the quality of the 2 piece.  ;)

My 2 piece GraphiteLeader Bosco is more sensitive than my 1 piece GLoomis GL2s both being priced about the same.

Rooster, what technique/s do you intend to use the rod for? ;)

I mostly want to use it for shakey head rigs but pretty much any other type of presentation that you'd need a spinning rod to do would be nice too, such as weightless plastics with only a 3/0 hook and the worm.  

Then you don't want a 2 piece casting rod your looking for more sensitivity that the one piece would afford you. You must be looking at the CSC66M2A, the CSC66MA is basically the same rod. If you take a 6'6" blank that has a medium power and medium tip action and cut it, then plug the 2 pieces back together, in essence you get a fast tipped 2 piece rod.

Personally I would be looking into the St.Croix Avid AVC62MXF, AVC66MF, AVC68MXF all one piece and all in the same line class except for the AVC66MF little heavier line class...

Tight Lines!!

WOW, thanks a lot for that little tidbit of knowledge. I am actually looking at a spinning rod they make, but I noticed it's the same with the casting rods, 2 piece in the medium action fast tip.

I also saw that they DO offer a medium action, medium fast tip in a one piece, which is what you said that would be before it was cut down to a 2 piece and created a fast tip instead. I could go with that, just didn't know what the medium fast tip would be like, or if I would even need to be concerned with it.

Primarily I would be fishing the shakey head rig, and occassionally some inline spinners (Roostertails or Blue Fox), some weightless plastics, maybe even a drop shot?? Some of that stuff doesn't need the sensitivity, but the shakey heads and drop shot probably do.

I also could just solve this problem by moving up to the Compre cause they do offer what I wanted in a 1 piece rod there. Just don't like the foregrip on their spinners with that cutout. Or even just get the 7 foot version of the Clarus I like, but on that the handle just feels way too long to be comfortable. I guess I'm being a bit picky, I just want to enjoy using it as well as gain a considerable improvement in sensitivity.

Pricewise, those St. Croix Avid rods are a bit over what I wanted to spend. I looked at those too in the BPS catalog. The Premier would be more affordable, even the Triumph that Dick's sells. What do you think of those?? I have no experience at all with higher dollar rods, anything much passed $40 that is. I'd like to keep any rod I get at the $100 mark or less.

I use a 2 piece st. croix Triumph 6'6'' medium fast and i have no problems.I've thrown tubes,wacky rig trick sticks/senkos and even #4-#5 mepps inline spinners with this rod.

However i wouldn't use this rod for drop shot.It can be done,but I'd prefer a lighter rod for that one.

Only thing i have against this rod is it is a little on the heavy side.

I use a 2 piece st. croix Triumph 6'6'' medium fast and i have no problems.I've thrown tubes,wacky rig trick sticks/senkos and even #4-#5 mepps inline spinners with this rod.

However i wouldn't use this rod for drop shot.It can be done,but I'd prefer a lighter rod for that one.

Only thing i have against this rod is it is a little on the heavy side.

X2

I have the exact same Triumph but when I drop shot I use my ML Fast action Premier. My Triumph is still my favorite all around rod. Its expensive enough to know your fishing quality but cheap enough not to worry about abusing it.

Rooster if all the rods you own are around the $40 range you are a lot like I was a few years ago. I promise you that you will notice the difference when you fish with a St. Croix rod for the first time. My first experience was with a Triumph and it became my favorite rod very fast. I liked so much I eventually purchased a Premier and then an Avid. Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

Hey ,Rooster

Stepping up to a Compre would be my sugestion, since you are concerned with the "sensitivity".

I'd also recomand you to look at the Fenwick HMX series (about $80). Would be great if you could have them in your hand at the same time ( the Clarus, Compre and HMX) so you can compare them.

Tight lines...

I have a number of fly rods in the $300 to $600 price range. Most are 3 piece and a couple of 2 piece, and never had a problem with flat spots or lack of sensitivity.