Sign in to follow this  
Certified Public Angler

how to build your arsenal?

Im sure there will be alot of threads popping up asking opinions on what equipment to buy in the next week as people spend their christmas money, so I am wondering how should a relatively new fisherman begin to form a technique specific arsenal?

For me personally I fish a Citica E on a MH/F Compre and a cheap spinning reel on a M/F rod.  I mostly fish plastics, cranks, and jerks.  I got a Curado E7 for christmas and I'm looking for a rod to complement it.  I don't want to have my only 2 quality reels be for the same thing so what should i get?

You can answer my question  ;) or just the general question to help noobies like me out.  :)

I got a Citica E for Christmas and a Powell Max 704CB rod to go with it and I must say this is a SWEET setup! I love mine ;D as far as building an arsenal (I'm in the process) I started out getting a set up for my favorite technique(s) which is a worm or jig (7' MH fast) then I got one for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits (6'6" MH fast) and lately Ive been getting into crankbaits so I got the Powell crankbait rod and I think I'll be buying more Powell rods in the future! The next one I want to get is a spinning rod for drop shotting ;) ;D

I no longer buy factory rods since I build all my rods now but if I were a new angler looking to get a good arsenal going, I would definately go the way of Danny1991 and start buying powell rods. They are the best bargain out their IMO. They're high quality, modern, and reasonably priced (around $140 I believe?) and they come in a variety of sizes and actions. Down the road if you want to upgrade a few you could always get a loomis or two to complement your powell arsenal.