Sign in to follow this  
Muddy

Rod Repair Question for Flechero

Hey: I goofed up one of my rods last season. I had a treble hook of a Jitterbug that I was about to thorw, somehow in a hook holder in another rod. When I grabbed the rod I was using it pulled the other rod's hook holder out on one side

I have since remover the hook keeper and the thread, and there does not seem to be nay scratchs or mars on the blank itself

Do I need to coat it with anythingm before I put one of thos Fuji hook keepers in that area?

Muddy,

Assuming it's a free standing wrap, there would be no damage to the rod blank if you left it. If it's part of some other wrap or in the decorative butt wraps, you'll see some later... As water gets in there (over time) it will rot the thread out and you'll see it turn white as the finish quits sticking and the thread rots. This won't hurt the blank but may create an eyesore.

As someone that likes to care for his equipment, I'd bet you want to seal it. You can use any number of things since you are just sealing off the tiny holes that the hook keeper was pulled from. You can use rod finish if you know anyone who has it, a dot of clear epoxy, superglue or clear nail polish. (maybe Elaine wants to get into rod repairs!! ;) )

All you need to do is make sure it's completely dry before sealing. Just keep it in the house for a few days, the dry heat from your furnace should take care of it.  (you have hard water these days, right?)

Keith

Thank You much: she is at work now, think I will raid the nail polish stash ;D

Do your toenails, too!

Matching your colors with purse and heels is a must.

;)

What a drag!

I did put a slight scratch in the finish , removing the wrap for the hook holder. I just  put a few layers of clear nail polish on it, I am putting one of those Fuji Ez Hook holders in it's place.