Sign in to follow this  
Jacob0434

Fenwick HMG Or Shimano Compre

I have the opportunity to pick up a 6'6" M. Fenwick HMG spinning rod for $69.97 or a Shimano 6'6" Compre M. Spinning rod for $75.99 at my local fishing store and was wondering which one you guys would pick and why? I've used a Compre casting rod before and was pretty impressed, but I also had an older Fenwick HMX that I like alot as well. Was just wondering which would be the best bang for my buck?

Thanks for your time,

Jacob

Both are great rods I prefer the HMG. I have used it and it is one great rod. Some will say She Man O's have better warranties, I NEVER HAVE HAD TO USE A FENWICK WARRANTY IN THE FIRST PLACE, so it really doesn't matter

I will reluctantly reply even though I haven't fished both 'current' rods.  I fished the Compre rods when I was in college and couldn't afford high-end rods, and they performed above their price IMHO.  I owned 8+ Compres.  I have fished an HMG, but is has been a long time.  The Compre has been improved over the last model I owned (brown), but the HMG might be improved as well.  I will say the the Compre fishes like a middle market rod.....I would compare the sensitivity with several rods in the middle market....

A new HMG for that price is a steal. I have 6 HMGs (4 BC and 2 spinning). They are very light and super sensitive. Very comparable to the Avid except they have Fuji Hardloy guides. I get mine for around $109 (msrp $120) and think that's a great price. For $70 I'd buy as many as I could.

Disclosure :) based upon fishing last year almost exclusively with 2 Techna AVs & 1 Crucial... and a new HMG waiting for its first use... Also, I'm a new Fenwick fan

In my experience I found the Techna AV to be more sensitive than Crucial.

If you go back a ways in searches of the forum, I think you'll find that the Compre is a great rod relative to others with an MSRP under $100. The HMG is typically described as being sensitive and is usually discussed in comparison to rods that are $100 or more. You won't go wrong either way.

Thanks all for your input. I went back there today to pick up the Fenwick HMG and the bait monkey hit me hard, Very hard. I ened up walking out with the Fenwick HMG, a 6'0" Shimano Crucial Baitcaster for $80.00, A 7'0" St Croix Avid Cranbait rod for $110.00, a 7'0" St croix Premier Glass rod for $45.00 and Finally a St. croix 6'3" legend tournament extra fast spinning rod for $120.00. Hope my wife dosen't wig out too much when she sees them :) One thing I do like about living in utah is the awesome deals that can be found on fishing stuff in the winter time :)

Once again thanks for your replies.

Jacob

I own both, HMG gets the nod for me, I even chose the HMX over the Compre.

Wow Jacob, great catch :)  Hope you'll share your experience with each after you've had the chance to use them.