Sign in to follow this  
mr bean

round reel ?

last year I fished with a guy who was using a round reel like a abu c4 but I dont know what it really was and cant get in touch with him. He used if for catfish bass and striped bass. I know he used spiderwire braid. I have been wanting an abu garcia just because I dont have anything by abu garcia. When I went with him he was casting a brush hog without a weight and he had good distance. Would an abu c4 perform like this? I want a round reel to put braid on to fish just for big fish like striper and catfish but it has to be able to cast good for topwater. This is just a preference I would like to have in the arsenal. you know round vs. low profile any thoughts.

I am sorry if that was confusing. I meant I am looking for a good all around reel and I would prefer a round body over a low profile.

c3 c4 c5 will do u fine 4600 sizes

X2 until this year I only had Abu round reels, 0 trouble casting, I actually had to get adjusted to the LP baitcasters.

The Abu C4 is a fine reel. They cast very well. But, IMO, they don't handle light baits as well as modern low profiles. Most of the Abu C series (except the Records) have deep spools that hold a lot of line, which means high spool mass when the spool is filled with line. The spools are also geared to the level wind even in free-spool which means the the level wind moves even when the reel is casting. IMO, that combination of high spool mass and geared level wind makes it hard to get a light lure moving. I fished C4s for years and never really liked them for light baits. I used spinning gear for anything 1/2 oz and below. For heavier baits (1/2 oz +), they are good reels - built like tanks.

If you want an Abu round reel that handles ligh baits well, consider the Abu EXT Pro. It is a modern reel with the Linear Magneitc Brake. It has a shallower ported spool. And the level wind disengages when the reel is in free spool and casting. This reel handls light naits as well as low profiles.

Tackle Warehouse has them on clearance at an exceptional price.

http://www.***.com/descpageRLCABUGAR-AGEXP.html

i have many of the 5000 series reels and other than having to put 8 miles of line on them they work as well as the 4000 series.

As you build up your rod arsenal youll one day want a 7:1 ratio reel. As far as I know those are all low profile baitcasters. Im like you, I prefer the round over the low profile tho, I cant say why.