Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Shimano Spirex or Daiwa Exceler?

I need a new spinning reel,any input on these two?  Or should I up grade to a reel in the $80 range? :-/

I've had great experiences with my Exceler 2500.  Admittedly, the bail does sometimes trip on the cast - about twice as often on my Stradic 2500 FH.  It can also be tricky when tripping the bail by turning the handle (not a problem since I close by hand).  The reason I usually choose my Exceler to the older Stradic FH is the line management.  Few line twist issues and I get consistently more casting distance than the old Stradic.  To save a few dollars on the Daiwa, consider the Cabela's Tournament ZX or Prodigy when they are on sale.  Both Shimano & Daiwa are great choices.

I can vouch for the Exceler, I have a 2 of them, a 2000 and a 2500. They are very smooth and light, and seem to be the least expensive aluminum frame spinnig reel out there. I got both of mine used off e-bay for less than $30 each, but I would pay full price for them. Infact if I needed another spinning reel (which I don't) I would have a tough time chooseing betwen the Exceler and my other favorite reel in that price range, the Pflueger President.

If you're just comparing those two reels?  No infinite anti reverse is a deal breaker for me.  Toss in Twist Buster Roller, and the choice is easy:  Exceler.  The Shimano Sahara would be on more equal footing with the Exceler, and that choice is a toss up.

I really like the features on the Spirex (I have 4 of them).  I have purchased other more costly spinning reels that I don't like as much.

Not having instant anti-reverse could be an issue for some but it has never been a negative for me.  I guess I'm just used to it.  For me the quick bail trip trigger out weighs the instant anti-reverse.

My spirex's have been very durable too.

I have a spirex that is probably 10 years old now.  It's ok reel, I liked the idea of the double paddle handle, but thats about it.  It also feels like I have a brick attached to my rod instead of a reel.  I would spend a little more money and upgrade to a symetre @ $100.  You could even find one of last years model for about half that.

Just my $.02

I have both the Spirex and the Symetre. I upgraded from the Spirex to the Symetre. For me its taken me a little bit to get used to reverse stop on the Symetre and now that I have I like it. Feels a little smoother to me than the Spirex. I have used Spirex for years and they have done me good. Still use both models for bass and the Spirex only for trout as its a 1000 series v 2500 Symetre series :-/ :-/