Sign in to follow this  
coolhandlala

I need a new reel for my LEC68xf

What do I get.  I am looking at revos and mg50.  I found a place I can get the mg 50 for $168, or I was looking at the revo sx or stx.  The thing I like about the revo is line capacity, but the mg is so light and it comes with an awesome price.

What do ya think.  I am definitely open to other suggestions as well.

The Revo's are sick reels. I am a Revo nut myself. If you have the money, get the STX. If not, the SX is really nice also. TONS of drag, pretty light, good line capacity, and they both look clean. I have yet to have a problem with any of my Revos. Although I do know that Abu Garcia has pretty good customer service.

well i have the 50mg and love it and i also have that rod, but i did not pair them together.  I put the 50mg on a crankin stick bc it casts light baits like a dream and is light itself.  For my EC68MXF i have a curado 200E7 and it has worked great as my plastics rod.

I have never tried the revos though.

I have a Daiwa Sol on my LEC68MXF, and I'm very happy.  I generally use mine for finesse jigs.  If you are going to use this rod for plastics/jigs I'd recommend the mg50 you mentioned.  

A rod so light deserves a mg reel.

The CH50MG has plenty of line capacity for bass fishing.

You will love the reel, everyone that has one does. At today's

sale prices, this is the best value in the entire Shimano line-up!

8-)

At *** right now you can get the mg for $168 or the curado E for 162.  They are a difference of about 2 ounces, is that a big difference.  Other that weight what will be the difference.  Does anybody have both?  Any thoughts?

At *** right now you can get the mg for $168 or the curado E for 162. They are a difference of about 2 ounces, is that a big difference. Other that weight what will be the difference. Does anybody have both? Any thoughts?

I have both. I haven't been able to fish with my E7 yet as our lakes are frozen solid so take this FWIW. I use my 51Mg for finesse applications and my E7 will go on my flippin' stick. My 51Mg is smoother, quieter and lighter. The E7 feels quite a bit more powerful (HEG & Power Grips) as well as more rugged. What applications you will be using the reel for will dictate which one is better suited for you. Overall, the Mg is a nicer reel but they are both excellent IMHO.

Good luck!

i have both and given the choice for the same price i would grab the CH50mg again.  I prefer the weight and the gear ratio of the 50mg.  Im using it with 12# hybrid and i dont forsee a problem with line capacity.

As far as pluses for the E7, the bigger handles are more comfortable and the ergonomics are slightly better for palming.

When you can get a $250, 5.9oz magnesium reel for $160 bucks....it's a no-brainer. The Mg50 will significantly outcast any revo due to it's line capacity (35yds of line weighs a lot). I thought my mg50's had just enough capacity...similarly to the Core.

It looks like the mg is $186.88, not $168. It is like an optical illusion especially with the red writing. lol Anyways, still a good deal.