Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

reel ratio for situations

from reading some of the articles and topics on here this is what i understand... please correct if wrong ... just trying to figure it out the best i can

worm/jig/topwater/spinner - around 6.3:1

crankbaits - 5.3:1

not real sure about highspeed of like 7.1:1 or low speed in the 4's but havent really even seen any bc's in 4's

For me the high-speeds (burners) would be for covering alot of area fast, or for when you get thru the strike zone the faster retrieve will get your lure back on the water faster.  You can burn just about everything with 'em.  Spinners, buzz baits, cranks.  I think this would be mostly for when your looking for reaction strikes.  jmo

A 6.2:1 or a 6.3:1 is you standard do everything with baitcaster.  If you could only have one set up this would be the reel to use.  You can do everything with this reel from deep cranking to fishing a texas rig to a topwater bait and everything in between.  The other speed reels are for more efficiency with specific techniques.

5.0:1 for crankbaits  (genrally)

7.0:1 for jigs, burning lures  (generally)

A 6.2:1 or a 6.3:1 is you standard do everything with baitcaster.  If you could only have one set up this would be the reel to use.  You can do everything with this reel from deep cranking to fishing a texas rig to a topwater bait and everything in between.  The other speed reels are for more efficiency with specific techniques.

5.0:1 for crankbaits  (generally)

7.0:1 for jigs, burning lures  (generally)

Exactly!

I've been wondering how exactly everyone breaks the reel speed to technique puzzle down also.  I think it mostly comes down to your personal preference.

now why would you use a high speed ratio for a jig?? i dont understand that part.

For T-rigs and jigs, it allows you to pick up slack line faster and once you are through the strike zone, you can get the lure back to you for another cast that much faster. As a result, you can make more presentations and more casts throughout the day. With these techniques, you also work the lure with the rod, not the reel, so there is not the worry that you are reeling to fast and need to slow down as there is with cranks.  

For Me:

I have 6 7.1:1 reels : 2 Jig Rods, Frog Rod, T-Rig Rod, Senko Rod, and my Punching rod

I have 3 6.3:1 Reels : Crankbait rod, Spinnerbait Rod, Shaky Head / Drop Shot rod

then I have 1 spinning reel and 1 Daiwa Luna for swimbaits.

I fish senkos easily with a 7.1:1, and can effectively fish slow as well, but when it's time to reel in slack line, or the fish has the bait in its mouth hauling balls toward the boat, it helps.