Sign in to follow this  
nralover

Beginner's casting rod?

What is the best bet on an affordable casting rod? I am looking for a 6' medium heavy graphite rod. My wife does not want to spend alot because she is not convinced that she won't end up returning to her spinning gear...

This is a no brainer. I would highly recommend a Shimano Convergence.

CVS60MH

Power - Medium Heavy

Action - Fast

Line 8-14

Lure 1/4-5/8

Guides Tip+5

Price $39.99

Or a 6.5' version

CVS66MH

Power - Medium Heavy

Action - Fast

Line 8-17

Weight 1/4-3/4

1 Piece

Guides Tip+6

$39.99

For about the same price as an Ugly Stick, you will get a good rod with braid worthy guides and the lifetime warranty.

If you get something in the Citica class or better for a reel, she will not have much difficulty. Worst case, if she does go back to spinning you'll have another casting reel in the arsenal.   ;D Don't skimp on the reel for her.

You never gave a price range but BPS Extremes are on sale for $70 or BPS Bionic Blades are on sale for $50. If Your wanting cheaper than that check out Berkleys Lightning Rod ($40) or Cherrywood ($25 :)) These are all Bass Pro Shops prices. You might find them cheaper on eBay. Also Wal-Mart carries Berkley rods.  

I bought her a Citica, so she should enjoy the reel. I was looking at a Lightning Rod for 40.00 or so, but I think the Shimano may be much nicer for the same price.

I bought her a Citica, so she should enjoy the reel. I was looking at a Lightning Rod for 40.00 or so, but I think the Shimano may be much nicer for the same price.

Right on! I think the convergence is a better deal in terms of guides and warranty. I believe the warranty on the LR is finite.

The BPS rods are a great value.  Any of the "store" brands should serve the purpose--- like BPS, Cabelas, Gander Mtn---they are all great rods for the money.

Also, like someone else posted---the new Berkley Lightning rods are a good rod at a good price too.

Or...get something really nice and if your wife decides to switch back to spinning gear, you'll have yourself a new casting combo!!! :)

Or...get something really nice and if your wife decides to switch back to spinning gear, you'll have yourself a new casting combo!!! :)

Good call- better grab a Loomis...

You never gave a price range but BPS Extremes are on sale for $70 or BPS Bionic Blades are on sale for $50. If Your wanting cheaper than that check out Berkleys Lightning Rod ($40) or Cherrywood ($25 :)) These are all Bass Pro Shops prices. You might find them cheaper on eBay. Also Wal-Mart carries Berkley rods.

Well agree'd

Good thinkin'.  I need to start buying her a new rod every week.  She might catch on, though.   :)

why dont you let her use one of your rods for a while to see if she likes BC setups?

i've never understood getting "beginner" gear in any sport/hobby. you always end up upgrading it in the near future.

that being said, from what i've been reading, the citica seems like a great deal.

Just to stir up the pot a little check out the Berkley Amp rods. They have a 6' mh and 6'6" m. For the price they are great rods so far for me.  

I have order from here and been pleased with the service and shipping fees.

http://www.johnnyspond.com/berkley-amp-series-casting-rod.html

But I am the person that has always wore the $49 Justin Ropers instead of the $400 Lucchese Ropers.  ;D

The Lightening rods are good rods but I would not buy a cherrywood...I had a 7'M spinning rod and snapped in half first time out while casting a 1/8oz tube.  The BPS rods are also a good value

The Lightening rods are good rods but I would not buy a cherrywood...I had a 7'M spinning rod and snapped in half first time out while casting a 1/8oz tube. The BPS rods are also a good value

i really like my 6'6" cherrywood. i've caught quite a few bass and some walleye on it with no problems. maybe u got a factory defect? a couple of my buddies that walleye fish exclusively use these and love them!

Ive got a couple of Cherrywoods. They are great if you like to cast around corners. I recommend a Shimano Compre. It costs a little more to start, but you wont have to replace it down the road just to get something that works acceptably.