Sign in to follow this  
WCCT

Lucky Craft shallow cranks

What are your favorite lucky craft models for shallow crankin?  I am making a point of doing a lot more shallow cranking this next year, and I have total confidence in pretty much any bait Lucky Craft makes.   The Bait Monkey said it was alright to get some new baits ;)

Moonsault series crankbaits are my favorite Lucky Craft cranks. The CB001 is a killer super-shallow bait. I also like the CB100.

The Fat CB BDS series are also great shallow cranks.

The combat series are good if you can find them.  They were made by Evergreen for Lucky Craft.   Any of the LC fat series of CB are good

BPS RC 1.5 works well for me.

Allen

Norman Mad-N, Bandit 100, Bandit FootLoose to name a few. And they won't break the piggy bank... ;)

Oops, my mistake.....you asked about LC's only......... :-X

I use 6 main lucky craft shallow crankbaits, and each has conditions it excels in.  

Moonsault cb100-  This super tight wiggling, obnoxiously loud crankbait excels in cool or cold water.  When the water temp is in the 50's on a warm March day, I will fan cast main lake pockets with the cb100 looking for fish moving up to feed or females beginning their scouting process.  This bait works well in the fall also, when the baitfish start to bunch up in the backs of creeks.  Use the Moonsault in situations that you would normally throw a trap.

Rick Clunn RC1.5 and 2.5- These baits produce a semi-wide, erratic searching wiggle, and I love to throw them in the late spawn or postspawn, although they will work when the water temp gets in the 60's throughout the fall.

Lucky Craft BDS 1 and 2-  The BDS 1 and 2 have a much different profile and action than the 3 and 4 of the same series.  The 1 and 2 have a balsa-like, slightly rolling wide wobble that is at home in the heat of the summer, thowing it wherever there is cover, laydowns, or brush.  I will pitch this bait a lot in the same places I would throw a jig or worm.

Lucky Craft BDS 3 and 4-  The BDS 3 and 4 have a much slimmer profile, and tighter wiggle (yet not really tight) than the 1 and 2 of the same series.  You can throw the 3 and 4 during the early spring, in cooler water, and under similar conditions in the fall.

Lucky Craft cb50 or combat 001-  I use these baits in shad or ghost colors to fish over the tops of shallow grass beds.

Hey great insight on those cranks Natural!!!

Topic has already been bookmarked for future referance  ;)

Do all these LC cranks have rattles?? Or is it only the moonsault series?? I personally am looking around for silent types. Those ultra noisy moonsault cranks don't work in high pressure enviroments...

You might also try the Lucky Craft SSR's. They are big crank & great going for shallow since they run about only a foot deep. When I 1st purchased them last year, the Lucky Craft website said they would run silent...no beads. So I tried them anyways and found out they do have rattles & they're pretty loud. I was catching both smallmouth & largemouth shallow last year. They are fantastic because they are such a big bait and the wobble is awesome. Give them a try.