Sign in to follow this  
nova41054

Rod and Reel Tranport in Pickup

Anyone have a way of transporting rods a reels in the bed of a pickup with cap. Thinking from the top of the cap or sides of bed/cap. Really don't want to get inside bed, bad back. thanks all.

Carry  them in the cab, butts on the passenger floor. This works fine,

even with a passenger, he just needs to be careful getting in the truck.

You definitely don't want them bouncing around in the bed.

8-)

I had a rod rack mounted to the interior roof of the cap in my old truck.  They sell a few kinds now for suburbans and the like.   Several options.

Carry  them in the cab, butts on the passenger floor. This works fine,

That's usually the best way...  if it's an ext. cab, and if your girl will be careful of treble hooks.  I got in big trouble over a rapala minnow one time.   :D

That's usually the best way... if it's an ext. cab, and if your girl will be careful of treble hooks. I got in big trouble over a rapala minnow one time. :D

Oh yeah, it 's hard to free them hooks from the chick without ruining the bait.  ;D

I have a roof rack on a cap (topper, shell).  I have a 6" pvc tube strapped down to the rack.  Long enough to handle 8' rods.  I have several 7' one piece rods, but the 8' also lets me haul flourescent bulbs home for my shop!

This is a good question.   I fish a farm pond from time to time that has a jon boat on site.  I carry a transom mount trolling motor, one of the batteries from my big boat, rods, and small tackle box in the back of my Tundra.   I slide my rods in a 6.5 ft section of 4" pvc pipe up to the reels to keep them safe from something tipping over on them.   Learned this one the hard way when the battery tipped over and scored the plank on a spinning rod.   1st attempted cast ... pop.  It broke cleanly right above the cork.   Hope this helps.

Roll Tide

I suggest an hooking up an 18' fiberglass rod rack with a 150HP merc on the back.  LOL.  I put my rods in the passenger floorboard like RW says and it works a lot better.  My bed is only 5' so even at an angle my 7' rods won't fit and I wouldn't want them getting banged up back there anyway.

Get some PVC piping and caps and you can make rod/reel cases that will keep your gear safe in the bed of your truck. My neighbor gave me one when he moved.

You don't say how long the bed is but I have a 6' bed and I wrap the outfits in the thick moving blankets you use to protest all you wife's valuable stuff when moving. Rubber band around ends and lay on angle. Option 2- put wife in back and put butt of rods on dash and run the tops out the back window and have wife hold tips so they don't bang around.  :D

Good luck.

This is what I have. I only use it however if I'm going on long trips. Works great in my short box chevy. You can criss cross longer rods to run corner to corner.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0053153122954a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=boat+buckle&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

If short trips they sit on the passenger side, rods butts to the floor.