Sign in to follow this  
Bassn Blvd

Revo Premier issue resolved.

A few of us on here have had issues with the Revo Premier making a bad squeaking noise whenever you cast it.   I've had this problem with 2 of the premiers.

The first I sent back to Cabela's for an exchange but the replacement made the same noise.  I sent the second one to Abu for repairs. Abu replaced the Pinion Stub Shaft and DN/pra (whatever that means). The reel seems to work flawlessly now but I only made about 30 casts with it.

Abu's service wasn't too bad.  I had the reel back in my possession within a week of them receiving it.  I think they could have at least cleaned/serviced it though since I was twice inconvenienced.

I think they could have at least cleaned/serviced it though since I was twice inconvenienced.

I thought it was a new or almost new reel?  Obviously they serviced it- since it now works properly...  should still have been pretty clean since it was so new, right?

:)

The line guide on mine pops out under stress.  Has happened several times.

I think they could have at least cleaned/serviced it though since I was twice inconvenienced.

Let me know if Quantum, Daiwa, or Shimano will do that for you.

I too had the same issue with a Revo Premier.  I was amazing when I first got it but after fishing it for a short time it didn't seem to matter where I set the breaks I always got the same amount of breaking. Sometimes it worked fine then I would get constant backlashes.  It made no difference where I set the breaks/cast control or the weight of the lure, it always made a whining sound. I sent it back to be repaired and it came back with the same issues plus it looked as if it had been cleaned but not relubed.

Long story short, I ended up taking it back.

Awhile back I reported on the Revo Premier and had the exact same issue.  I ended up going through 2 of them and sold the 3rd one in the Flea Market for a lose!  Its a shame though cause I really wanted to like that reel. :-/  

My Daiwa and Shimano reels don't mind have the rule of the house though  ;D

Awhile back I reported on the Revo Premier and had the exact same issue. I ended up going through 2 of them and sold the 3rd one in the Flea Market for a lose! Its a shame though cause I really wanted to like that reel. :-/

My Daiwa and Shimano reels don't mind have the rule of the house though ;D

I too had high hopes of making this reel one of my favorites but started having 2nd thoughts after my problem with it and reading about others who had similar probs. I now have it on my Loomis GLX MBR 842C (7') with #10 mono and it is the lightest combo in my arsenal. I don't think you can get much lighter. I want to buy another but I can't pull the trigger considering the problems. If this one works out fine then maybe I will splurge.

One drop of Marvel Mystery oil on the spool shaft cured mine. You can buy it at any auto supply store. Havn't had the side plate off in six months and still no noise. I fish them hard to.

For all of you that don't want your Primier's just sent them to me (free of course). I have been using several since they were first introduced, and so far problem free. Just goes to show you that a metal reel can be even lighter then a graphite one.

Every Premier I have ever had has made the squealing on the cast. Abu told me it was the brakes catching up with the spool. The squeal is louder when I'm throwing heavier stuff. I have not noticed anything performance related being wrong with any Premier I have. If I could afford it, I'd have a Premier on every rod I own.

Every Premier I have ever had has made the squealing on the cast. Abu told me it was the brakes catching up with the spool. The squeal is louder when I'm throwing heavier stuff. I have not noticed anything performance related being wrong with any Premier I have. If I could afford it, I'd have a Premier on every rod I own.

You mean you don't mind the sound on cast?  It drove me nuts after 5 or 6 cast!  I didn't notice any performance problems either, but why?

[

You mean you don't mind the sound on cast? It drove me nuts after 5 or 6 cast!  

No, the reels are working properly so it doesn't bother me. If I was having issues with any of the reels, it would bother me.

I didn't notice any performance problems either, but why?

The explanation that Abu has given for the sound makes sense. It's just the brake catching up with the spool. Once that happens, the brake evens everything out and the sound stops, before my lure hits the water. Plus, it's not a noise like someone's car horn going off for 5 minutes.....we're talking seconds here.

I know of several people who use the Premiers. The sound seems to be just a characteristic of the Premier. And other than the sound thing, I haven't heard many other complaints about them overall.  

I think the noise is from the anti-rust bearings used on the Primier. The noise is not loud so it never bothered me, but I think the other models of the Revo SX & STX also have this noise on the newer models with the anti-rust bearings. My older models with the standard stainless steel bearings don't make the noise.

Maybe somebody a whole lot smarter then me, can comment on this?