Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbite

Split Ring Lure Saver

Hey guys since this year I am learning more about crankbaits I was thinking about ordering some of these from Cabelas.  I know I will loss some baits always do but anything I can do to lower my loss is great.  So has anyone tried these split rings the links is posted below

Thanx

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017232316517a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=split+rings&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I posted a question about them about two weeks ago with no answer. I own some, but was trying to get opinions from anyone with more experience with them. Basically, the one time I got hung with them, I lost my lure. Line pairing is imperative with them, but I had a match (12#). I was using Trilene Smooth Cast, which I find a weaker line per rating. I've yet to get hung w/ Suffix Elite (my usual line) that is much stronger per rating. My jury's still out too, but won't be long before a verdict's  in on it.  

Just what I want... a crankbait flying at my face at 300mph....

Slow steady pressure.   :D

I posted a question about them about two weeks ago with no answer. I own some, but was trying to get opinions from anyone with more experience with them. Basically, the one time I got hung with them, I lost my lure. Line pairing is imperative with them, but I had a match (12#). I was using Trilene Smooth Cast, which I find a weaker line per rating. I've yet to get hung w/ Suffix Elite (my usual line) that is much stronger per rating. My jury's still out too, but won't be long before a verdict's in on it.

do you use the split ring on bot hooks?  it just shows the back one in the video.  Is it dangrous? I use a 10lb mono would that be ok?  Did you ever lose a fish?

Buy a lure retriever, makes more sense.

Ok I read a BASS article the other week about making one which I plan on doing I thought it would be great to have both.

When I hang up a crankbait ( and I do it several times in a trip ) I hang it up for good, no magical split ring is going to help me retrieve the bait, the only way to retrieve the bait is with a plug knocker, it works most of of the times.

There is a review on TT: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewultimateluresaver.html

Personally, I hate this idea.  I prefer STRONG split rings.

I'd thought I'd try some informal testing to get a better idea about the function of the split rings. I spooled on some Suffix Elite and hooked  a lure's treble (a DTF3) to a heavy drawer's handle. The ring is normal until a certain level of pressure is reached. The pressure I exerted was a continuous,slow, steady pull; far different than a fighting fish. Sharp, hard rips did nothing. Also, the pressure it took to make the ring begin to expand was actually way more than what any fish would give you (considering 12#, anything that strong, like 30+# carp would break the line way before the ring would ever give). After it expanded it always popped back and was as strong as it was before. The ring usually stayed on lure also, minus the treble; but not every time.  

Wow sounds great I am going to give it a try this will be a great benefit to have.  Thank You for your info.

Here's something to take into consideration. I was using a palomar knot, directly tied to the lure's split ring. I tried a snap on the main line (I often do this when fishing for quick changes) and the line would break just above the knot. From this I's say there's a Very strong possibility that you would Have to use a good line with a Direct line tie with a really string knot; lest you just break the line on the pull and lose the lure anyways.

When I hang up a crankbait ( and I do it several times in a trip ) I hang it up for good, no magical split ring is going to help me retrieve the bait, the only way to retrieve the bait is with a plug knocker, it works most of of the times.

I'm with Raul. I'm not willing to concede anything to lure "failure".

Most lures can be retreieved, but losing a few is part of the game.

8-)

I'm with Raul. I'm not willing to concede anything to lure "failure".

Most lures can be retreieved, but losing a few is part of the game.

8-)

Yea RW I understand I am going to lose and thats fine just want to minamize the loss.  So what do you think about this product?

My fear with these would be a hook to the eye or bait to the face.  It doesn't seem very safe to me.  it seems a plug knocker would be a better and safer idea.  unless you fish from the bank.

Unless its an extremely streamlined bait, I doubt that it would rocket back at you through all the water.  Possibly, though.  I hate the idea simply because where I fish, there is a possibility of catching an incidental trophy of another species, especially in spring.  30 lb. Brown Trout wander the same waters that I fish, and I do not want that story to be about the one that got away due to using break away split rings that probably didn't pay for themselves.