Sign in to follow this  
reddragon

what to look for when buying a used rod??

hey guys need some help again, what do i look for when buying a used rod??? also would be great if you guys can give me feedback on this rod i might purchase, i want the rod more for weightless senkos, t-rig, c-rig, mostly plastics with a little spinnerbait, swimbait here and there...

G-Loomis

GL3 MBR 783C 6'6"

price 130 used

also i've been looking for a reel for a long time now too anyhelp would be nice, baitcast about 100-150 and also user friend im new never tried baitcast before... btw i have several questions and threads about rods and reels already sorry if it annoys people im just new to this and need feedback, feedback is always better than written reviews users always know the truth about the items, thanks!

Over the internet you takes your chances, know the seller well...

Viewing in person....Off the top of my head...

Cosmetics, the blank is it in good shape, straight no warp, any bad nicks, missing any thread coating around the guides.

Guides are they straight, no bent frames, any nicks in the shock rings, again the threads and coatings

Cork is it dirty, is the pit filler falling out.

EVA is it still in good shape....

Just a quick .02¢

Tight Lines!!

On top of Reel mechs great tips I might add.

Make sure you know ahead of time what and how the seller is going to ship the rod in before he ships it.

I've bought rod lots before and the seller merely stuck all the rods into a tube, capped it and shipped.  No packing material was used at all!   ::)

The rods showed up with a tip missing and a trigger broken off a rod.

Personally, if it's a single rod I'd insist on PVC 2" schedule 40 along with sufficient packing material.  Since I started using that on my own shipments I've yet to have a complaint.  Cardboard tubes can be iffy.  

thanks guys the only thing is its local so no shipping im picking it up if i decide to get it, anyone have this rod??? any pros and cons about it??

Not a bad rod (if it's in good shape) for all around use. If any rod can be used as a multi-purpose rod it's the MBR 783C. I probably wouldn't use it for swim baits (only 1/4 - 3/4 lures) but you never know until you try it. Plus w/ G Loomis no questions asked warranty you pay $130 for the rod, say something is wrong with it, pay $60 and you have a new rod in like 2 days, so you ended up paying $190 for a what, $215 rod? Could be a good deal.

Not a bad rod (if it's in good shape) for all around use. If any rod can be used as a multi-purpose rod it's the MBR 783C. I probably wouldn't use it for swim baits (only 1/4 - 3/4 lures) but you never know until you try it. Plus w/ G Loomis no questions asked warranty you pay $130 for the rod, say something is wrong with it, pay $60 and you have a new rod in like 2 days, so you unded up paying $190 for a what, $215 rod? Could be a good deal.

ya thats a good point good warrenty is always a plus

It is a plus Red...from what I've been reserching (always in the market for a new setup) G Loomis has got to have the best warranty out there.  You may pay you may pony up $40 extra for the "no questions asked" but hey, who wouldn't?  Anybody else now of a rod company that offers a better warranty?

Although I am a HUGE G.Loomis fan, I think there are better

options until you get to the IMX series. Be patient and you might pick

up the same rod, but IMX. Otherwise, I would suggest the St. Croix

Avid AVC68MXF.

At your target pricing point the reel I would recommend is the

Shimano Citica E. This is an outstanding piece of equipment backed

by the premier company in the business. With proper maintenance,

the reel will perform like new indefinitely.

8-)

Although I am a HUGE G.Loomis fan, I think there are better

options until you get to the IMX series. Be patient and you might pick

up the same rod, but IMX....

8-)

Got to agree w/ you RW.  All below IMX w/ G Loomis is good but there are other rods out there that perform better for less.  I was in the same boat when I was looking for a matching rod for the Quantum CR that I just bought.  For all the holding out I did, I got a custom G Loomis MB844 IMX Slate for under $180

So I guess that means I would have to take my previous statement back then. :-/

number 1 when buying a used rod: look at the tip!

measure the rod to see if it measures up to its listed length. if not, that most likely means that the tip was broken off at some point and a replacement tip top was simply glued onto the end.

if this did happen, make sure the seller disclosed it and you know what you are getting. missing even a couple of inches from the tip can change the action and feel of a rod dramatically.

the g.loomis 783c is a great rod but i agree with RW and others that the minimum level is the IMX.

what do you guys think about the shimano crucials? better than the gl3 or not worth the money..

what do you guys think about the shimano crucials? better than the gl3 or not worth the money..

I own many GLoomis rods, if you are going to spend in a GLoomis I tell you, don 't get anything under an IMX, there are comparable rods in the GL2 and GL3 series as good or better. Crucials are in between a GL2 and a GL3, better than a GL2, almost as good as a GL3 but a lot cheaper than a GL3.

If I were to purchase I would pick up a Crucial rather than a GL3.