Sign in to follow this  

BC for 7yr old son?

My son has been using a Shakespeare BC (9.99) to learn on. The Easter bunny is going to bring him a $50 BC to bring him up a notch or two. Any suggestions? The end of the progression is taken care of with some of my shimanos or abus.

You might find a used Citica D for around $50.

Keep an eye on our Flea Market or e-bay if you

trade there.

The BPS Extreme Reels from Bass Pro are very nice and can be had for around $50. They are acutally $59.94 right now and those are the new 09 model eith the swept handle adn star drag.

My 8 year old daughter(9 now) started off with an Abu Garcia Revo S and has had no problems. To me, centrifugal brakes are much easier for a child to learn with. She tried one of my Citicas, but found it to be too large for her hands. There are some great Revo S deals on Ebay right now.

You can save money and let him use your smallest casting reel. If you need to get him a reel, just don't give him a reel you wouldn't use. :) Like us, they will learn faster on better equipment.

My daughter took my curado 101D from me and claimed it as her own when she was eight (now 9). ;D She said she would like to have the wonder woman themed reel as was shown at Tackle Tour.

Another reel to consider is the Pflueger Supreme.

The reel is now out of production but you can find deals on Ebay on NIB's for around $65-70.  Used, in excellant condition for around the same price.

The profile of that reel is not bad. It's light and the dual braking is outstanding.  

Suuuuuuuuure! Your 7 year old wants a baitcaster for easter! Brilliant plan. Buy him whatever YOU like, that way if he doesn't like it, well....then, you can use it! ;D I bought my wife a spinning combo from basspro after we bought our first boat.....with good intentions of her being a little more patient with fishing. Turns out she would rather sit in the sun and read. Oh well, at least I have a nice ultra-light setup for finesse fishing!

Really though, I agree with the guys from above. I would look at the flea market and find something lightly used that is a little higher quality. A little more user friendly.

The first baitcaster I ever owned was a pfleuger trion. I tell you what, you lock down all six breaks and adjust your spool tension right, I don't think it would take a kid long to figure it out.....if he is patient that is. One bad backlash could ruin a kid though! Good luck!

Thanks for all the help, found a nice deal on another Revo s so at least he can use any rod in the arsenal now ;D

Fish Fast pushed me over the edge!

Good plan starting them young on good gear.  I know or a few 6 and 7 y/o kids that are proficient w/ baitcasters.  

Just noticed with the new model Extreme reel out, BPS has their old model Extreme baitcasting reels for $39.77 online.

The BPS Extreme Reels from Bass Pro are very nice and can be had for around $50. They are acutally $59.94 right now and those are the new 09 model eith the swept handle adn star drag.

right on man..... X2