Sign in to follow this  
DINK WHISPERER

Falcon Cara T7 disappointment

Hey guys! I just received my new Falcon Cara T7(CC-7-176H) rod i ordered and i am a little disappointed. I opted for the one piece rather than the telescoping one because it was rated heavier and with a fast tip I got this rod as a flippin stick(it was labeled Carolina rig) and it is ridiculously thin! It feels kind of flimsy as well. The butt section is the size of some of my med/light rods! There is no way this thing is going to pull FL hawgs out of anything. Am i letting the looks of this rod fool me or is it too small? I want to here from guys that have this rod or any in the Cara T7 line up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

id use the rod first.

Yeah...use it first....was it stated that that very rod was a flipping stick?  I bought a Kistler Magnesium 7'H that is quiet smaller than any Bass Pro Rod I have.

No it was listed as a carolina rig rod. It had heavier lure rating than the flippin stick(telescopic) and a fast tip. The flippin version was a moderate tip. I even called Falcon and told them what i was looking for and they recommended this one! My Shimano Crucial 7' 6" H/F is a crow bar compared to this thing. The tip on this one has way to much bend to it. It arcs like a mod action tip! Guess it's my problem now huh?   :'(

Well maybe its not that bad.  I would say use it and figure things out from there.  It may surprise you.  

I wonder if the telescopic flipping version is stouter? I hope to hear from anyone that has one of the two rods!

I made a thread asking a question on another forum and this is what one of the members told me. I hope it helps.

"Falcon does not make a rod that will compare to the GLX in any way.  Now saying that I own more Falcons than I do Loomis but I'm more about durability than flat out sensativity.  The T7 blanks are not my favorite from Falcon though.  That would be the previous Expert blank.  I love my expert but it's not nearly as nice as my IMX Loomis.

I would also like to mention that Falcon does not know how to rate their rods.  Someone should explain to them the difference between fast and slow.  Here is an example that is very easy to see...go pick up a rod that is supposed to be Medium/Extra Fast.  Then pick up a cranker that is supposed to be Medium/Moderate.  I have both and the faster they rate it the slower it is."

I have a 7ft heavy cara and it is a very thin and light rod but its very stout and makes a great pitchin stick, but I agree that they dont have as much backbone as you might think a (H) would...I still love the rod though...very durable and sensative

I plan on buying the 7.2 (XH) falcon cara pro grass next week for pulling bass out of boatlifts and lilly pads...I hope the (XH) is (H) at least.

Lots of rods are mis-rated, I have been let down before just like you have been.

But you should buy a Castaway rod, they make a great stick and are heavier than they are rated. If you want a flipping stick meant for Florida get the 7'6 XH castaway.

My Falcon is indeed a very nice rod, very sensitive. I got a chance to fish with it today and i must admit it feels good. But, i hooked into a little 3lb bass in scattered bull rush and he almost whooped me! The rod has way too much give in the tip for my liking. I called Falcon to complain and the rep assured me that the diameter was not a factor. I was told that this rod can handle heavy cover with ease. He even said "go put a 1/2oz jig on that thing, throw it around and you will love it". Hmmmm, i wonder if he gets paid to say that, LOL! Oh well, i have 25lb BPS fluorocarbon and a Revo on it so it should still be able to pull em out of the thick stuff..........maybe!

As much as I love my Falcon rods, I do know that they overate the power rating.  Heavy is actually MH in my mind.  It is a good rod and its too bad your not going to give it a chance.  I might just have to take it off ur hands.

Don't get me wrong man! I absolutely loved it but i need a crow bar for the stuff i fish(you should see the fields of matted veg)! If i could afford to keep this and get another flippin stick i would but i can't right now. Let me know if you are interested. It is new and i am only asking $150 and it costs $199.

This will be up on Ebay in a couple of days if no one is interested!