Sign in to follow this  
SirSnookalot

Pure Fishing Does it Again

Hands down no better customer service.  For the 3rd time I sent a reel in for a general cleaning, indicating no warranty on the shipper and included my Visa info.  9 days from shipping to my doorstep a brand new soron 804 replaced my shipped cardinal 804, free of charge.......does it get better?

Repair by replacement.  Sounds like their reels are "loss leaders."  I wonder how long this business model will work.  How many Pure Fishing reels do you own, and how many have been replaced?

I sent in a bulk spool of Trilene Sensation ($60), that I was having breakoffs with.  I included a note asking for a voucher, because the only other line I use by pure fishing is the trilene 100%.  4 days later I had a $179 spool of 17lb Trilene fluoro at my doorstep  8-)

I sent in a bulk spool of Trilene Sensation ($60), that I was having breakoffs with. I included a note asking for a voucher, because the only other line I use by pure fishing is the trilene 100%. 4 days later I had a $179 spool of 17lb Trilene fluoro at my doorstep 8-)

d**n, can't beat that.

my experience has been less than satsifactory from Pure fishing, by way of Pflueger.  Had sent several emails (around 5) for about a month and calling as well (4 times) with no reply or contact with a human being.  Finally talked to a person Tuesday and the first thing that was said after I told her my problem, broken handle, was that a replacement would only be available for purchase, and the warranty was void due to not having a sales reciept, which I knew because I bought it used off ebay.  I had intended on purchasing the handle anyways but it was the tone in which she used to cut me off during my explanation.  I really like Pflueger, have 3 Patriarchs, a Supreme, an Asaro, and a President spinning reel but this makes me wonder now....  :-/

The post said cleaning not repairing , haven't had the need of a repair.  I own no Pure fishing reels as they are not a reel company but a service company, in my eyes they supplied service.

Ummm. Both reels you mentioned in your original post are Pure Fishing products. I'm not throwing stones at the deal, or the product. I think its great the way they treated you, but I am concerned when the solution to general cleaning, as you call it, is to replace the reel. It send a poor message about their products.

If I was not clear, it was 3 different reels, not the same one over and over again.

Let me give you a comparison things like this don't happen much anymore.

In the auto business years ago whenever you took a car in for service they would give you a loaner, generally a more expensive car than what you brought in. Whether it was a dealers option or mfg the philosophy was to " show "the newer car off in hopes of keeping customer loyalty and it worked. In the early 90's I take my Mark in for service and right on the spot Enterprise rent a car is renting me a piddly little car, 2 months later a reimbursement form FMC........I never bought another Lincoln. Same case scenario with my 2000 Mercedes, have yet to buy another M.B.

I don't think new school customer relations match old school business models, Pure Fishing has earned my loyalty. Pure fishing feels if they treat me right, my next reel purchase may be from a company that they represent.......that's smart business.

If I sent them a reel to be cleaned and they sent me another reel, I'd be mighty d**n ticked off.

I'd be pretty psyched if I sent in a Curado D and got a Curade E back ;D On the other hand, I'd be ticked if they replaced my "lucky" reel. >:)

It does sound as though Abu Garcia is making a dedicated effort to maintain and build upon its reputation for strong service.

Hands down no better customer service. For the 3rd time I sent a reel in for a general cleaning, indicating no warranty on the shipper and included my Visa info. 9 days from shipping to my doorstep a brand new soron 804 replaced my shipped cardinal 804, free of charge.......does it get better?

This is confusing.  You sent in your reel to be cleaned and they sent you back a different reel?  Why would they send you back a different reel if you didn't have any problems with your current reel?

:-/

This is confusing. You sent in your reel to be cleaned and they sent you back a different reel? Why would they send you back a different reel if you didn't have any problems with your current reel?

:-/

It's enitirely possible that when they opened up his old reel, they noticed wear on parts they no longer stock, or a manufacturing defect that might have caused him problems at some point in the future. It doesn't really matter either way. He sent them an older reel for service and they shipped him back a new reel. Heck, I'd do that every year if I could.

If I was not clear, it was 3 different reels, not the same one over and over again.

Let me give you a comparison things like this don't happen much anymore.

In the auto business years ago whenever you took a car in for service they would give you a loaner, generally a more expensive car than what you brought in.  Whether it was a dealers option or mfg the philosophy was to " show "the newer car off in hopes of keeping customer loyalty and it worked.  In the early 90's I take my Mark in for service and right on the spot Enterprise rent a car is renting me a piddly little car, 2 months later a reimbursement form FMC........I never bought another Lincoln.  Same case scenario with my 2000 Mercedes, have yet to buy another M.B.

I don't think new school customer relations match old school business models, Pure Fishing has earned my loyalty.  Pure fishing feels if they treat me right, my next reel purchase may be from a company that they represent.......that's smart business.

Sorry man, I'm not seeing the analogy.  By that logic, you'd drop your 2003 C-class for an oil change, and come back to take delivery of a 2009 C-class.  It makes no sense to me.  The message I'm reading is that Pure Fishing products (Abu, Flooger, et. al.) cannot be serviced or repaired - that it is less expensive for them to replace the reel than it is to actually clean it.  

Repair by replacement (RBR) is a process used for loss leaders - products the manufacturer/retailer sell at a loss in the hopes that you will purchase other products with a much higher profit margin.  Look at the small desktop printer business.  You basically get the printer and the "starter" drum or ink tanks for barely the cost of materials.  They make their money on refill drums and ink tanks.

Again, if the new reel is an upgrade - that's awesome for you!  Way cool!  It just makes me think about what they are selling you in the first place.

Just a month of so ago I sent them back a Revo STX that I had a problem with.  It was way out of the one year warranty.  Anyways, four day turn around to new Revo STX on my door step.  No complaints here.  I even included a note explaining how hard I had used the reel.

Having worked in a large electronic board level master repair facility this could simply be customer service by TAT ( turn around time ). We used to do that with certain pc boards and assemblies. Instead of setting up to repair one this week then one 2 weeks later you have exchange stock for replacements. It is much more effecient to work on the same model or product line for a week than a day here or a day there. The cost of the stock is pennies. Same principal as  auto repair parts that have a core charge.

I have to agree with Francho. I love my Revos. They are among the best reels I've ever used. But replacing a reel for the simplest of problems seems odd. While the Revo is a match in terms of quality and performance to any reel close to its price, simply replacing a reel for any problem gives the impression that they aren't worth fixing. And that's not the case.

I have to agree with Francho. I love my Revos. They are among the best reels I've ever used. But replacing a reel for the simplest of problems seems odd. While the Revo is a match in terms of quality and performance to any reel close to its price, simply replacing a reel for any problem gives the impression that they aren't worth fixing. And that's not the case.

It's simply a matter of cost.  It is more cost effective for pure fishing to just replace the reel versus employing an entire department of reel mechanics.  The cost of replacing reels is simply lower than the salaries required to employ a repair department.  Pure Fishing got as large as they are by making good decisions  :)