Sign in to follow this  
G3 Fan

I Need Help Choosing a Slop Fishing Rig

I am looking for a heavy cover rod I want something for Frogs, C rigs, jigs etc. I would like something light in the hand in the 7' to 7'6" range. It can be telescopic as long as it doesn't weigh a ton.

I know this is a loaded question but I would like some suggestions, the budget is no more than $400.00 for the rod and reel

Thanks again for the input.

I will suggest two combos that have been very good to me. First and my favorite is a Powell Max 766h flippin stick with a Abu Garcia Revo SX. The rod is 7' 6" heavy/extra fast and the reel is a 6:4:1 with a 24lb drag system.

The second is a Shimano crucial flippin stick and a Abu Garcia Revo STX reel. The rod is 7' 6" heavy/fast and the reel is a 6:4:1 ratio with the 24lb drag.

I sold the Crucial recently though. I absolutely love the Powell man. It is a brute but has the weight of my 7' MH rods.(very light).

STX and Carrot Stick

Two words: CARROT STIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the lightest rod you will ever own.

As for the reel I would go with a Quantum Code 7.1:1 gear ratio. If you don't like that model anything else Quantum is awesome, take my word for it!!!!!!!!!!!

DW, you should get a commission from ABU, you are doing a good job of selling me on the Revo's.

As for the Carrot Stix posse, has anyone had one long enough to know how well they will hold up? When I looked at them in the store I was kind of put off by the guides, I'm sure they selected those for weight reduction but I was concerned about their durability. The things are light though.

Daiwa TD-V701MHRB Team Daiwa-V

Shimano Crucial Flippin Sticks CRC76H

Have you handled a Loomis MBR844C IMX?    If it's the right blank, I might know where one is with a matching handle to your custom.   :;)  

DW, you should get a commission from ABU, you are doing a good job of selling me on the Revo's.

As for the Carrot Stix posse, has anyone had one long enough to know how well they will hold up? When I looked at them in the store I was kind of put off by the guides, I'm sure they selected those for weight reduction but I was concerned about their durability. The things are light though.

LOL, what can i say man, i love them! I think the original carrots are built with cheap parts and are overpriced(just my 2cents). I don't see them lasting in the long run. I sold the one i had because i just didn't like the feel.

Loomis MBR844C IMX with a Lew's BB25SS. Use 20lb. mono or 65lb. braid. The Lew's is a wench that is very simple and dependable. Total cost around 300.