Sign in to follow this  
DINK WHISPERER

How often do you..............

Hey guys!

Was just wondering how often you guys clean your reels/rods? Not the yearly all out clean though. I mean just a wipe down and quick lube. I do it to mine about once a month or so. I clean the slime, dirt etc off the reels and rod eyes and lube the visible moving parts. Is this weird or what?

I wipe mine down after each use, especially if I am fishing in water that has a lot of floating debris that collects around the line guide and drops down onto the reel seat. As for a full blown cleaning I'd say monthly, I sell and trade my gear quite often and I try to keep things looking like new.

So to answer your question, no you are not weird.

By the way, I ordered an STX today because of your glowing reviews.

Wipe down after every trip, nice cleaning and re lube after every 3-4 outings and the thorough send out to professional once a year.

Later, ;)

Is this weird or what?

Not if you want to take care of your gear.

I wipe mine down after each use, especially if I am fishing in water that has a lot of floating debris that collects around the line guide and drops down onto the reel seat. As for a full blown cleaning I'd say monthly, I sell and trade my gear quite often and I try to keep things looking like new.

So to answer your question, no you are not weird.

By the way, I ordered an STX today because of your glowing reviews.

LOL, that's awesome man! I think you are going to love it once you get the brakes dialed in good! If not, i will buy it off you(at a slightly discounted price of course), LOL!

LATERZ

On average once every three or four trips. If I'm bait fishing, usually after every trip.

Every other trip I change line (excluding braid), clean & lubricate worm shaft/paw, remove handle & star-drop of oil, drop of oil on handle knobs.

Once every 4 months complete disassemble, clean, & lubricate ;)

Winter time is complete teardown/ clean/ lube and coat of wax on the rods AND reels (yes, I wax the exterior of my reels). This usually takes me through the season, unless a rig gets dunked or I feel something is not right.

Hey guys!

Was just wondering how often you guys clean your reels/rods? Not the yearly all out clean though. I mean just a wipe down and quick lube. I do it to mine about once a month or so. I clean the slime, dirt etc off the reels and rod eyes and lube the visible moving parts. Is this weird or what?

Not one bit weird.

Only says that you care how well your reels and rods are maintained.

I will wipe mine down 3 to 4 times a week just to keep the dust off, even the ones not being used. The reels get serviced 2 times a season in the beginning and end even the ones not being used. The rods all 100 of them get wiped the same first with a damp cloth, then with a silicon gun cloth...

Tight Lines!!!  

Man, i feel a lot better now! My fishing buddy treats his gear like crap and laughs because i clean mine constantly! He does not own any expensive gear though(doesn't believe in it). We are like night and day! It's a shock that we can even stand each other for 10-12 hours in a boat, LOL!

For the outside of your reel/rods...use automotive 'quick detail' spray; it cleans and shines while also providing a little protection.  I keep a coat of sealer (synthetic wax) on my rods and reels, but I realize I'm a little OCD.  All my reels get two coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze.  

I wipe them down after each use. If it gets fished much at all the line comes off for a respool. I use backing on all reels so it's not as much line as one would think. I will bench them about every six months or so.

Freshwater, a drop or 2 of oil every 6 months or so, that's it.

Saltwater, oil every couple of months ( I use corrison block), rinse with water after each outing and spray with salt x.  Nothing else is needed.