Sign in to follow this  
BMoore

dobyns, powell, or kistler?

I'm about to buy a few new rods and I'm looking into these brands. If you guys have used em tell me what you know. I was gonna just go with a loomis cbr 845 and a mossyback 802 or 803 and then one of their sbr series rods. I like to be a little different though and try new things so I was thinking of going with one of these 3 companies. I'll be buying a t-rig and light jig rod, a mid/deep crank rod and the third will either be a spinnerbait rod or a heavier jig rod. Give me some input fellas.

i think the g.loomis CBR and SBRs are practically unbeatable although the powell 765CB for a crankin' rod comes close. for the jig/t-rig rod, i'd be more inclined toward the mossyback 852 or 853 for the added length but here, i'd be sorely tempted for a dobyns 733 or 734 (gen 2). i had a gen 1 and it's a great rod but the gen 2 is even lighter and more crisp.

I'm about to buy a few new rods and I'm looking into these brands. If you guys have used em tell me what you know. I was gonna just go with a loomis cbr 845 and a mossyback 802 or 803 and then one of their sbr series rods. I like to be a little different though and try new things so I was thinking of going with one of these 3 companies. I'll be buying a t-rig and light jig rod, a mid/deep crank rod and the third will either be a spinnerbait rod or a heavier jig rod. Give me some input fellas.

Dobyns hands down. Last year I was in the same boat. I was debating between Dobyns, Powell, St Croix, Loomis, and Kistler.

Powells were tip heavy, especially the rods over 7'6. I also didn't like that ALL of their rods were split grip, I love split grip, but not on every rod, only specific rods. The G2 Dobyns, have so many lengths, and rods like the 733 or 734 you can pick if you want a split grip or full grip.

Kistler, couldn't get myself to like them, and I can't put my finger on exactly why, they just didn't do it for me. If I recall correctly, they also don't have all the options of lengths, which for me is nice, I love 7'3, 7'6, 7'8, 7'9, 8ft rods.

I have only Dobyns rods now, over 10 of them, and continue to get more. They're awesome rods, the G1 were great rods, the G2 are incredible.

For what you're looking for, I highly suggest:

For the T-Rig / Light Jig rod, the 733 and 734 are both great rods, deciding between those two is really based on what you really look for, the 733 is a little more fun, the 734 has a little more power.

Crankin rod, I don't crank much, I use a 705 Glass , but a lot of guys like the 805 for deep cranking. This is one rod I haven't used so can't lend you too much info on.

You can throw spinnerbaits with ease on a 734, it's the most versatile rod I've used. Spinnerbaits, chatter baits, T-Rig, Jigs, Senkos, RatLTraps, Buzzbaits, the options go on and on.

Heavy Jig Rod - 765, best flipping stick I have ever used. It was my first Dobyns, and the G2 ones are even better!

How do you tell if they are the gen1 or gen2? I was looking at the champion series on their site. This is the type input I was looking for, thanks fellas.

How do you tell if they are the gen1 or gen2?

the easiest way to tell is the logo on the rod blank itself. on the gen 1 rods, the word 'dobyns' is in an oval and overlaid onto top of a carbon weave pattern. on the gen 2 rods, the word 'dobyns' is larger and not within an oval.

I have never used the Kistler so I cannot comment on their performance. I have found Powell also to be tip heavy and I am not a fan of split grips. However, the Powell is a great rod for the money. And the 754 is great fiberglass crnakbait rod.

I own the 813 Loomis spinnerbait rod and I highly recommend it to anyone. I am not a big fan of their crankbait series rod. The 845 is great all rod, but if you choose to crank anything deeper than 10' I would chose another rod.

I would rather have an IMX series over the Loomis Mossyback rod  for worms or jigs.

As for Dobyns rods, I cannont say enough good things about the few I own. I own the 736 and it might be the most versatile rod that I own. I use it from anything from small swimbaits, frog, c-rig,  to pitchn.' If you are planning to crank deep then check out the 805.

I am a Loomis guy myself, but I tend to go with Dobyns to fill in the gaps in the Loomis lineup. Good luck.

Keep it coming guys, great info. What about the fenwick elite tech? Also are the powell's as light and sensitive as the dobyns and loomis or are they a step down in the blanks they use?

Keep it coming guys, great info. What about the fenwick elite tech? Also are the powell's as light and sensitive as the dobyns and loomis or are they a step down in the blanks they use?

Powells may statistically be light, but any rod over 7ft is extremely tip heavy giving it the effect of feeling extra heavy. Thus not feeling as light, nor are they as sensitive as the new Dobyns Rods.

I can't speak on the Fenwicks, never used one. Sorry

Brokeju is full of...great information. He has helped me through a similar situation looking for a crankin rod. He always had an answer to all my questions and seems like a genuine person. Keep it up, I know we all appreciate it.

I bought a Dobyns 683C Champion Series on a whim at a

Boat & Fishing Expo. I really haven't decided if split grip is

for me, but if your criteria is light weight with solid backbone,

this might be for you. The rod is built to Gary's specifications

and issues with his first production rods have been resolved.

That said, the reel seats are FUJI, but the guides are "no-name".

Of course, they are promoted "just as good or better", we'll see.

Otherwise, the blue black and silver has the bling-bling many may

like. I put a CH50MG on mine that matches up very well.

So, the jury is still out for me, but the Dobyns are certainly an

option to consider. Those that fish them have totally commited

to this brand which means a lot if you know anything about the

Brokeju.

8-)

one buddy is all kistler, my other buddy is powell, im all about american rodsmiths, my dad is an e21 nut, each has there own top notch rods, but its all about what YOU like. but of the three i would go with powell.

I just bought a Doybns 704CB rod for throwing Jerkbaits and Crankbaits.  I am really impressed with the quality of this rod.  I can see myself buying a few more in the near future.   ;D

That said, the reel seats are FUJI, but the guides are "no-name".

Of course, they are promoted "just as good or better", we'll see.

Otherwise, the blue black and silver has the bling-bling many may

like. I put a CH50MG on mine that matches up very well.

Roadwarrior,

The guides are Kigan.  Gary Dobyns was in town last week and I met up with him for a bit and did an interview for a couple forthcoming articles.  He believes they are the finest guides available, that's why he's using them.  In fact, he's paying a considerable cost premium to put them on his rods, while he could have saved a lot by going with the comparable Fuji or similar guides.  I think you'll like the rod.  Just make sure you bring a 7' or 8' rod if you come back down to TX, our bass will whip you with that little shorty stick, ha ha!   ;)

BMoore,

I'm sponsored by Dobyns so I won't get into which brand is best, you obviously know where my preference lies.  I will say this though, I had an opportunity to go with several different rod sponsors this year, all with similar offers.  After trying the rods, Dobyns was an easy choice and I'm proud to be affiliated with them.  Gary uses the finest materials out there and builds rods that are balanced and sensitive.  A rod that weighs less than another but is tip heavy will feel heavier in your hand and is also less sensitive as a result.  

As for your applications, here are some models I'd recommend if you end up going with Dobyns.  I'm a huge fan of the fiberglass 705CB GLASS.  It is fiberglass but weighs only slightly more than a graphite cranking stick (most fiberglass rods weigh WAY more than graphite).  It's the best of both worlds--light so you can fish it all day, but it has the slower action and feel of glass so fish take cranks deeply and stay hooked.  Awesome for square bill cranks, shallow or medium runners over abput 1/4 oz.  It'll throw deep divers fine, but at 7', you lose some casting distance.  For deep divers, the 805CB is my choice, as the 8' rod will launch your bait so much farther and help you scratch deep structure.   The 805CB is the Randy McAbee signature edition and he's a cranking guru out west.  That rod is probably one of the best known and respected rods in Gary's line.  

As others said, the 734C is a very versatile rod and I throw everything from spinnerbaits and cranks on it to soft plastic jerks and finesse jigs.  It's a great do-all rod in the 3/8 to 3/4 oz range, while the 733C is better for me for all sorts of more finesse options, like 1/8 to 3/8 baits and weightless worms, topwaters, etc, and it'll still throw a 1/2 oz spinnerbait fine, just not as much power as the 734C.

I'm pitching and casting jigs with the 736C and it is very balanced.  It works well for everything short of punching mats with 1.5 oz sinkers, but still has enough tip to pitch 1/4 oz jigs under docks.  

If you're more into casting C-rigs, casting jigs and football jigs in open water and casting TX rigs, the Mike Long 7'8" Champion Extreme rod is a killer!  Very lightweight in the hand, and the long rod is super sensitive.  Plus it allows you to move a ton of line to drive home the hook at the end of long casts and to get big fish under control and in the boat.  

A final note.  Not sure if you're throwing many rods over 7' right now.  If not, I'd certainly recommend them.  With a little practice, you can throw them nearly as accurately as the shorter sticks and the fish hooking power and especially the fish fighting ability are much better than the shorter rods.  They just let you move so much more line and keep tension on the fish on big runs and jumps.  Furthermore, you can launch casts way out there and get to schooling fish or present a lure to fish before your boat spooks them.  Seems like I keep going longer with my rods every year and I'm always glad I did.  

Lots of good rod options out there these days, they're all light years ahead of the stuff we were using 15 and 20 years ago (composite pistol grips, ha!).   Good luck on your shopping, picking out new gear is almost more fun than landing a big one.  Almost!   :)

Good Fishing,

Tom

Thanks Tom, all you guys have some great info. I think the first one I'll try will be a 733 with a Core for my t-rigs and other soft plastics. That sound like a pretty good combo?

Hope it helped.  The 733 would be great for TX rigs for more 10 to 14 lb test and smalller plastics 6 and 7 inch worms.  If you were looking for a 17 to 25 lb line and bigger plastics like 10" worms and creature baits, you'd probably want the 734 for casting or a 736 if you were pitching it more.  The 734 still has a lot of tip and will still cast pretty light rigs--I've been throwing wacky soft plastics with it a lot lately on 15 to 20 lb line without a problem.  

If you're throwing a lot of spinnerbaits and cranks, etc, the Champion line is superior.  It also is balanced so it feels light and is very sensitive and does a fine job for jigs and worms.  If you want a rod that is even lighter and is ultra sensitive, the Champion Extreme is a better choice, but also more money.  Either the DX743 for lighter rigs or DX744 for medium and heavier ones, matched with a Core, would be pretty sweet.  If you're looking for maximum feel more than anything, this would be the better choice.  

Thanks Tom!

Last time I was at Lake Fork was the "wrong week". I'm looking

forward to the next trip on the "right day" and fishing with you!

I really enjoy your fishing reports, keep 'em coming!

Regarding my Dobyns: Thank you for clarifying the guide issue. I

have not fished the rod long enough to form a "real opinion", but

getting comfortable with a split grip is the biggest issue. We'll see.

8-)

Ok so here is what I'm thinkin long term.

733- light t-rigs and plastics

734- heavier t-rigs and creatures and spinner baits

705cb- shallow to medium cranking and rattle traps

805cb- deep crankin

Since I don't pitch heavy cover a lot where I fish I'll wait and grab a 736 when the time comes that I need it or I just have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Would one of these cover Carolina rigging? I will be doing a good bit of that come summer.

What do you guys think of these setups?

These rods and reels are gonna look funny in a bass tracker huh? That'll be a good excuse to tell the wife I need a Skeeter. ;D

Sounds pretty similar to what I fish with everyday.  As for the C-rig, the 734 would do ok with C-rigs.  The 764 is a big ole stick that'll whip a big C-rig way out there, with plenty of backbone to hook up at the end of your cast as well.  The big Mike Long DX784C is a 7'8" beatin' stick and my choice if money isn't an object.    

Don't worry about the aluminum boat.  I used to fish local tourneys with my brother in his "tin can" back in the day.   The looks you'd get pulling big fish out of the livewells was way better than the prize money !   ;D

Powells may statistically be light, but any rod over 7ft is extremely tip heavy giving it the effect of feeling extra heavy. Thus not feeling as light, nor are they as sensitive as the new Dobyns Rods.

I can't speak on the Fenwicks, never used one. Sorry

You are absolutely right on that one, the tip heavy part that is. My Powell flippin stick is actually lighter than my previous Fenwick flippin stick but you can't tell do to the Powell being tip heavy!

I haven't fished the Gen2 Dobyns sticks yet, but considering the value play involved, the Powell rods are very hard to beat right now at $139.99 to your door or $159.99 for those over 7'.  I've used many Kistlers and many Gen1 dobyns, and I'll take the Powells across the board as one of the absolute best "bang for your buck" on the market today...  

While were on the subject I've got another question. I bought a loomis mossyback a while back at a going out of business sale. It's a bcfr893. I just grabbed it because it was 50% off. What should I use this thing for. Would it be similar to the 733 but just a couple of inches longer? thanks

Geez...You don't want to hijack your own thread.

Start a new one.

8-)

I haven't fished the Gen2 Dobyns sticks yet, but considering the value play involved, the Powell rods are very hard to beat right now at $139.99 to your door or $159.99 for those over 7'. I've used many Kistlers and many Gen1 dobyns, and I'll take the Powells across the board as one of the absolute best "bang for your buck" on the market today...

I agree.

I love my Powell's.