Sign in to follow this  
Fish Fast

Revo stx=Quality!

I don't know if it is fair to make a comparison right now, but I have recently gotten a chance to fish with my new revo stx, and.....wow, it is a nice, smooth reel, with very tight tolerances and a great anti-backlash system.

My new reel for last year was a quantum tour edition pt burner. Now, I have enjoyed that reel but have had a few small issues with it (when I click the the handle and it locks in, the handle will slip back about a quarter of an inch...meaning the anti-reverse seems to be malfunctioning a bit, it is starting to get a little noisy...but all in all it still casts well and performs well).

My point is, and this is not a quantum bashfest because I like their products, there seems to be tighter tolerances in the abu reel. Maybe its not fair to compare the two since one is brand new and the other is a year old and has some serious miles on it (from tossing a lot of lipless cranks).

Anyone else use both of these reels?

What do you think? Just curious.

Anyone else out there think another reel in the revo price range just blows it away?? The reason I ask is purchasing a reel is a BIG investment anymore....and I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks

My son and I fish many tournaments. He has been using a PT tour 1170 for over 3 years. He takes it to the local honey hole on his bike, he,like other teenagers, is rough on the gear and uses and abuses this reel almost daily. This reel still operates as well as it did on the first day it came out of the box. I have an 1171 that has performed flawlessly for over 3 years. I have no experience with Revo's but have some Ambassdors that work fine. Let me know how the Revo works over time. Most anglers like them and support the product.

I have 5 revo stx's. They are very nice reels. I have had them for 3 years now and have used the heck out of them. They are still just as tight as they day they were new. One reason is that ABU used a high quality roller clutch for the anti reverse. It has almost twice as many needle bearings as many other models. That being said , I have two gripes with my revos that abu should improve on. One is the finish. It scratchs and chips easily. For this price range, they should be using a more durable finish. the second is a common complaint with revos. It seems to be very sensitive on the spool tension settings. One setting will be to tight but if you change it just one click it will backlash easy. Maybe they should have used different tension shims or better cushions with the shims. If anyone has found a solution to this, I would love to hear it.

My new reel for last year was a quantum tour edition pt burner. Now, I have enjoyed that reel but have had a few small issues with it (when I click the the handle and it locks in, the handle will slip back about a quarter of an inch...meaning the anti-reverse seems to be malfunctioning a bit, it is starting to get a little noisy...but all in all it still casts well and performs well)...

Maybe its not fair to compare the two since one is brand new and the other is a year old and has some serious miles on it

First of all, your Quantum doesn't "perform well". None of the

problems you have described are acceptable. Secondly, you can

compare my brand new Shimanos to those that are ten years old

and the comparison will be both "close" and fair.

I have the STX on a dedicated jig rod. It is strong, smooth,

silent and reliant, but the magnetic brakes are finicky and

require adjustment every time out. I would never buy another.

What is happening to your Tour is not normal. I never had any issues with Quantums reels and I used them for many years fishing several days a week, my only complain was their weight, now this is resolved, I just got a new Energy and that reel is BOMB!!!!!

I love and have no issues either with my STX but I don't think I would get another.

Fish Fast,

The STX is a fine reel, I really like my S-L and it doesn't have the spool braking system the STX has, but still a great reel..

Like stated above your Quantum® isn't well. The oneway issue and noise will do nothing but get worse. If you still have warranty on the reel send it in for service, if not get it serviced anyway...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

My new reel for last year was a quantum tour edition pt burner. Now, I have enjoyed that reel but have had a few small issues with it (when I click the the handle and it locks in, the handle will slip back about a quarter of an inch...meaning the anti-reverse seems to be malfunctioning a bit, it is starting to get a little noisy...but all in all it still casts well and performs well)...

Maybe its not fair to compare the two since one is brand new and the other is a year old and has some serious miles on it

First of all, your Quantum doesn't "perform well". None of the

problems you have described are acceptable. Secondly, you can

compare my brand new Shimanos to those that are ten years old

and the comparison will be both "close" and fair.

I have the STX on a dedicated jig rod. It is strong, smooth,

silent and reliant, but the magnetic brakes are finicky and

require adjustment every time out. I would never buy another.

co-sign.

too many choices at $200 a pop

I own an STX and it is a good reel, but it does not compare to my curado!

D or E?