Sign in to follow this  
jhow2319

Pflueger Purist

Hey guys, I was at gander moutain today and this reel caught my eye. I am a big pflueger fan because I own the Trion LP. I am about to purchase a new reel within the next couple of weeks and I need some help on a new reel. I am considering the Pflueger Purist, the new Bass Pro extreme, the old Bass Pro extreme, and the bass pro rick clunn signature series reel. Let me know what you guys think.

I too am a Pflueger fan, I have a President, 3 Patriarchs, an Asaro, and a Supreme. As much as I hate to say it, I would advise against the Purist. I have no personal experience with the Purist, but from just feeling the reel, it doesn't seem like it would hold up to abuse for very long. Any of the BPS reels, Extreme and up, would be a good purchase. If you would like to stay with Pflueger and shop on ebay, I would suggest takingy a look at the Supremes. I bought a NIB Supreme for $65 last year for spinnerbaits and really like the reel. It looks like there are a few on there now going for $99-109. It is a tad larger than current top of the line reels but is well worth the ebay price if you are interested.

I am with BRR here, he hit the nail on the head. The Purist and Eschelon are really crappy reels, I don't know why they do not discontinue them

I use only Pflueger Bait casting reels and I am sure you will be more than pleased with any reel from the Trion up to the Patriarch, stay away from anything below them in the line up

I cracked an Eschleons Graphite Body, and I have used a Purist a couple of times, I wasn't feeling these reels :-/

I gotta agree too. I bought a purist on ebay that was new. It hasnt fallen apart yet (3 years of light use) but it creaks and flexes all the time. I have never used it for any heavy work either. I run 8lb test and use it for pond fishing. Unless pfleuger has revamped it recently the composite body and side covers wont last long. I would look at pinnacle if you are looking for features packed into a modest price. I had a pinnacle pro that was rock solid. That reel is as good or maybe better than my quantum code.

what about the cetina. My purchase is between the cetina, the bps extreme, or the bps rick clunn signature series. I am trying to stay in around $80, I may go to $90. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, I was at gander moutain today and this reel caught my eye. I am a big pflueger fan because I own the Trion LP. I am about to purchase a new reel within the next couple of weeks and I need some help on a new reel. I am considering the Pflueger Purist, the new Bass Pro extreme, the old Bass Pro extreme, and the bass pro rick clunn signature series reel. Let me know what you guys think.

get another trion!!!or better yet a patriarch!!!i would not buy any pflueger reel under the trion.as everyone here knows i am a major pflueger fan but i will not buy any reel with a graphite frame.

I am with BRR here, he hit the nail on the head. The Purist and Eschelon are really crappy reels, I don't know why they do not discontinue them

I use only Pflueger Bait casting reels and I am sure you will be more than pleased with any reel from the Trion up to the Patriarch, stay away from anything below them in the line up

I cracked an Eschleons Graphite Body, and I have used a Purist a couple of times, I wasn't feeling these reels :-/

and who told you graphite frames suck? ;D

Well, I'm trying to keep m price range at about $80. What do you guys think I could get for this price? The reel will be going on a 6'6" MH (fast tip) St. Croix premier.

Well, I'm trying to keep m price range at about $80. What do you guys think I could get for this price? The reel will be going on a 6'6" MH (fast tip) St. Croix premier.

A revo s on e bay u can find um for 80 look hard

A revo s on e bay u can find um for 80 look hard

My thoughts exactly!!! But if he does that than he would have to sale all his reels to buy more Revos!!!!          ;D

I have bought 4 Trions , all in excellent condition right here on our Flea Market all for 45 bcuks ( one was 40)

I've got an Asaro 64 WLP that I am thinking about putting up on the Flea Market for around your price.  It's a pretty descent reel but not good for what I need it for.  It's only been fished twice and comes with box and papers

The Purist is a step down from the Trion. A big step too. I've had both but don't have the Purist any longer. I do have to say that I haven't held the new black Purist2 but it looks like it's just a black Cetina. There's a new Trion on eBay right now for $80 and a few Supremes for $99. I know it's more than you have, right now, but the Supreme is nice. I got one myself, for less than $60, on eBay earlier this year. It pays to be patient. I love it too. It's no Patriarch, but it has the dual breaking and a super smooth cast. I say take your time and wait for a better deal on a better reel.