Sign in to follow this  
Oscar O.

Flippin' setup

What would be a nice setup for flippin'? Price range altogether? Im looking forward to start working on this technique and have been saving up. Thanks in advance!

I flip with just about every setup I own.  I assume you referring to a heavy cover setup for t-rig plastics and jigs.

What is your price range?  The sky literally is the limit on this type of gear.  My friend uses a $1000 rig for this stuff.  My rig, while not cheap, is much more modest.

I use a Kistler 7'6" Flipping & Pitching Special and a Daiwa TDX103HSDL spooled with 50 or 65# braid.  The reel was about $200, the rod was on sale for $100.

Yeah i meant heavy cover. My price range would be up to $500-600 tops. If i can get a really nice rod and reel for a good price, that would be awesome.

$1000? Wow that is quite an investment!

Since all i do is flip and pitch heavy cover here in FL, i invested in two set-ups! First one is a Powell Max 766H 7' 6" rod paired with a Revo STX 7:1:1 reel and 65lb Suffix braid. The rod was $175 and the reel was $170. This is by far my strongest and favorite combo! My second set-up is a Falcon Cara T7 Amistad in 7' 3" H/F for lighter cover. It is paired with a Revo SX in 6:4:1 ratio and 20lb BPS fluorocarbon. The rod was $200 and the reel was $145.

My flipping combo is around $250, actually I have two suited for the job, the other went about $210.  The first is a 7'6''H Castaway Big Show Flipping Stick ($99 on ***) with a Curado 200e7 ($150 ebay) and 50lb Suffix Braid.  The second is a 7'MagH Powell 705c ($90 I think bought here on the flea market) with a Quantum Energy "Burner" ($110 on ebay because the box was wet, reel is flawless) and 17lb P-Line CXX.  

My flipping combo is around $250, actually I have two suited for the job, the other went about $210. The first is a 7'6''H Castaway Big Show Flipping Stick ($99 on ***) with a Curado 200e7 ($150 ebay) and 50lb Suffix Braid. The second is a 7'MagH Powell 705c ($90 I think bought here on the flea market) with a Quantum Energy "Burner" ($110 on ebay because the box was wet, reel is flawless) and 17lb P-Line CXX.

You got a smokin deal on the Powell man! But actually, it cost you $100 shipped............................i sold it to you, LOL!!!

My flipping combo is around $250, actually I have two suited for the job, the other went about $210. The first is a 7'6''H Castaway Big Show Flipping Stick ($99 on ***) with a Curado 200e7 ($150 ebay) and 50lb Suffix Braid. The second is a 7'MagH Powell 705c ($90 I think bought here on the flea market) with a Quantum Energy "Burner" ($110 on ebay because the box was wet, reel is flawless) and 17lb P-Line CXX.

You got a smokin deal on the Powell man! But actually, it cost you $100 shipped............................i sold it to you, LOL!!!

ahhh....took a quick look at my paypal transactions and saw the $90...couldn't remember which it was....guess I picked wrong....sorry...100 for the powell....makes it 220. recently picked up a few good deals here guess I got them confused :-[ ;D

BTW love the rod  

Im ALL shimano for reels but go with a revo for heavy cover fishing.IMO the curado doesnt have enough drag power for heavy cover.I have lost a few donkeys on the california delta cuz of my drag slipping on my curados.

Im ALL shimano for reels but go with a revo for heavy cover fishing.IMO the curado doesnt have enough drag power for heavy cover.I have lost a few donkeys on the california delta cuz of my drag slipping on my curados.

A Carbontex dry washer replacement would be the best $8 upgrade for your heavy cover Shimano reels.  You'll get the power you desire, and get to use the reels you like.  

Go with a Curado http://www.***.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SCER.html and a 7'6H IMX (http://www.***.com/descpageRDCGLOOMIS-GLFSCR.html)

This will combo will serve you well, Felt the IMX in the store and she was gorgeous.

That's basically the combo I use except I built my flipping rod on the loomis IMX904 blank with a split grip. It's pretty sweet! The curado is a sick reel for flipping/pitching applications

My heavy cover flipping set up, which around here is thick weeds, or docks, or laydowns, or a combo of all 3, is a 7'6" XH Fenwick HMX w/a Quantum Accurist 501PT spooled up with 50lb Power Pro. I just can't pull the trigger on a more expensive rod that takes a beating like this one does. For $100 It is suprisingly light, sensitive, and tough.

Now for lighter cover, clear water, and a little more "gentle" flipping conditions (if such a thing exisists) I use a St Croix Legend Tournament 7'6" MH MF "Pitiching" rod. Also paired with a Quantum Accurist 501PT, this one spooled w/ Trilene 15lb 100% fluorocarbon.

I really like the Quantum Accurist PT's for Flipping reels, they have a flipping switch, which I find handy, others could care less, and weven though they a bit on the heavy side, they tend to balance out those long tip heavy telescoping sticks very well, making the extra few oz's they weight a non -issue, if not a blessing in disguise. Plus Quantum phased them out, and you can still pick them up NIB on e-bay for $70, they originaly sold for $129, I am talking the last generation Accurists, I have no clue what the 1st generation ones were like.

Now if I lived in a place where 8+ lb fish happend more often, I might want to up to 65lb braid and 17 or 20lb fluoro. But up here in NY my stuff handles our fish just fine.

My flipping setup is a Carrot Stix 7'6" and Quantum Code 7.1:1.  It cost $240.00 altogether.  So far it has preformed quite nicely.