Sign in to follow this  
underwraps1

What do you prefer?

Not to be a smart ___, but I like a Moderate-Fast action for shallow and mid-depth crankbaits.

Not to be a smart ___, but I like a Moderate-Fast action for shallow and mid-depth crankbaits.

same here, with the shallow-medium divers I feel like a full moderate taper is too much.  I use a 6'10'' MH Carrot stix gold that is said to have a fast action but I find it's more of a moderate fast making it perfect form shallow-med cranks.  Now deep divers need the moderate action

I have two cranking rods, St. Croix Avid AVC70MM and AVCMHM.  They cover everything from little PeeWee Warts up to Norman DD22.  Both are "moderate" action rods.

I bought a Triumph 70MHF for shallow to medium cranks, but I don't know if the fast action is going to work for me. Now if I understand this correctly, the fast action is going to bend faster, which means there is going to be a delay in the hook set, which means the crankbait is going to go deeper in the mouth of the fish, or it's going to spit it out? But the moderate would set the hook faster?

I bought a Triumph 70MHF for shallow to medium cranks, but I don't know if the fast action is going to work for me. Now if I understand this correctly, the fast action is going to bend faster, which means there is going to be a delay in the hook set, which means the crankbait is going to go deeper in the mouth of the fish, or it's going to spit it out? But the moderate would set the hook faster?

It's actually backwards from that, moderate bends slower and lower on the rod giving the delay.

Negative just turn it around........

Fast tip action is just that quicker, moderate tips react slower..

Tight Lines!!!!

Ok, lol. So pretty much with crankbaits, a moderate action is better so the hookset is slower so the fish inhales the lure more. Am I right now?

Well, the mod or mod-fast won't allow the fish to eat the bait any more or less but with a softer mid section, the rod is less likely to pull the treble hooks out of the fish.

Fast action rods will "work" equally as well as a mod for trebled lures, but it usually requires an angler to adjust more.  And the mod won't wear out the angler as fast.

Fast action rods will "work" equally as well as a mod for trebled lures, but it usually requires an angler to adjust more. And the mod won't wear out the angler as fast.

Or reduce the power rating for a less powerful one.  ;)

I fish my cranks with a GLoomis CR722/MBR782.